Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shocker_c Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2003, 09:58 PM
    What is unix
    Hey how are you I just want to know what is the meaning of unix and what it is used for?
    arcanehacker Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2003, 11:45 PM
    what is unix
    Unix is an OS just like Windows 98, windows 2000, etc.

Its more of a programmer's OS and for companys. Its supposed to have higher security functions also.
    mahi_val Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2003, 08:12 AM
    what is unix
    I would like to add that UNIX is a Network Operating System and is normally used in client-server kind of computing setup (on servers) and not on a stand alone desktops like a PC.
    cyrus Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2003, 09:52 AM
    what is unix
    All about unix: http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/unixintro.html

And Mahipal Vala I use to use unix on my stand alone pc because you can get away from the GUI and it’s a lot faster for programmers and script kittys like myself to get the GUI out of the way
    mahi_val Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2003, 03:56 AM
    what is unix
    Absolutely CyRus. I fully agree. In fact, its really good for such specific applications like scripting, testing, network protocol development etc. However, what I meant by standalone, is a normal home Personal Computer where GUI has a very important role. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unix on Home PC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I do not know anything about Unix, and I want to learn. Before, in my school lab, I was watching some students , who were using that program. They always got Telnet before they accessed Unix. How do I get Telnet and Unix on my home computer? Thank you in advance for you answer.

Unix [ 1 Answers ]

What is the script for inputing a name of a file that I would like to analyse by the script?

View more questions Search