Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weshouldbegood Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2005, 10:04 AM
    What credentials are companies looking for?
    Hi. I'm working right now on my A+ Certification. I'm planning to get a Network+ certification and Linux+ or LPIC1 certification as well. Basically, I'm starting in the computer field. I've been using computers since the BBS days on my 286 Tandy 2500XL computer with its 40MiB hard drive. :) I'm wondering what your advice would be for someone starting in the computer technologies field. What certifications should I take? Should I go to college or university? If you were/are an employer what would/do you look for?

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2005, 05:06 PM
    Experience!

Certifications are nice, but employers would prefer an uncertified but experienced person to someone unexperienced with loads of certs.

The point is without experience you will probably need to start with an entry level position that has room for growth. Continue getting your certs while you gain experience.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2005, 04:01 AM
    Qualifications
    Hi,
    One of the very, very best qualifications you can have for any computer associated field is a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.
    Advancement with a company is much, much greater with this degree.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Aug 29, 2005, 05:21 AM
    I have to disagree to some extent with Fred's answer here. Obviously a degree or a cert will help you advance within a company. But it may not help you get in the company in the first place (which was your question). A BA in Computer Science is too broad. Computing is much more a specialized field. There are many different disciplines, network admin, programmers, support, etc. You need to define what area of computing you want to deal with.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2005, 05:32 AM
    Credentials
    Hi,
    I also forgot to mention that you might do some research on some of the companies you are interested in.
    Check with their Human Resources Department, find out what they require for advancement.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Sep 8, 2005, 08:33 AM
    What credentials are companies looking for?
    I'll take all these things into consideration. I think I want to go in to networking. I'll look into what companies are seeking in employees. Thanks for your input, it helped.

Sincerely,
    Matthew Smith
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 17, 2005, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by weshouldbegood
    Hi. I'm working right now on my A+ Certification. I'm planning to get a Network+ certification and Linux+ or LPIC1 certification as well. Basically, I'm starting out in the computer field. I've been using computers since the BBS days on my 286 Tandy 2500XL computer with its 40MiB hard drive. :) I'm wondering what your advice would be for someone starting in the computer technologies field. What certifications should I take? Should I go to college or university? If you were/are an employer what would/do you look for?

Thanks.
    I have been a hiring manager for a big computer company in California.

What I look for from a "rookie" candidate:

- Good university education (Standfor, CAL, MIT,. ) in Comp Sci/EECS.
    (So, I would highly recommend that you get a good univ education)

- Internship experience in related field.

- Personality, Eagerness, Appearance, etc..

All the certifcations will do is to get you into low level IT admin type of work. Good 4 year CS/EECS education will get you in higher level technical areas and eventually can lead to management. Go to college!
    tjpapa Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2006, 02:48 PM
    One of the best ways of finding jobs in the computer industry is to network with other people. Talk to others, email friends who are in the industry, call into companies. Let people know you are out there looking. Good luck.

TJ
    Software company in San Diego

Jan 15, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Just passed my Network+ exam. Also, I passed my A+ exam about a month or two ago. Now I'm going for Linux+ certification. I've been thinking about the post regarding going to college/university. I'm going to seriously consider it. Thanks!
    trulydiva Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 04:30 PM
    I am wondering about this also
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I have to disagree to some extent with Fred's answer here. Obviously a degree or a cert will help you advance within a company. But it may not help you get in the company in the first place (which was your question). A BA in Computer Science is too broad. Computing is much more a specialized field. There are many different disciplines, network admin, programmers, support, etc. You need to define what area of computing you want to deal with.
    Do you have any suggestions on where to get this type of info? If I wanted to start a career in the tech field how would I know which discipline to pursue? I hope this makes sense. I am not sure what a network administrator does, or what "support" entails.

Jan 17, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trulydiva
    Do you have any suggestions on where to get this type of info? If I wanted to start a career in the tech field how would I know which discipline to persue? I hope this makes sense. I am not sure what a network administrator does, or what "support" entails.
    Well the answer to may sound harsh, but if you don't have an idea of what those terms imply, then you need to do more learning before you are ready to even pursue preparation for such a career. Its like saying I want to be a cook, but not sure about the difference between a frying pan and a pot.

Many high schools have computing courses that should give you enough info to make such a decision. If you are in college, then talking to a guidance counselor would help. If you are looking to switch careeers, then you will need a lot of education so I would recommend seeking out schools like DeVrys that deal in technical ed.
    trulydiva Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Well the answer to may sound harsh, but if you don't have an idea of what those terms imply, then you need to do more learning before you are ready to even pursue preparation for such a career. Its like saying I want to be a cook, but not sure about the difference between a frying pan and a pot.

Many high schools have computing courses that should give you enough info to make such a decision. If you are in college, then talking to a guidance counselor would help. If you are looking to switch careeers, then you will need a lot of education so I would recommend seeking out schools like DeVrys that deal in technical ed.
    Your answer does sound harsh and sarcastic. I am sorry I asked. Thanks for nothing.

Jan 17, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Harsh, I admit. Sarcastic I deny. I'm sorry you are sorry to have asked. Not all answers are going to be to your liking. But I stand by my answer. I did try to give you some pointers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furniture companies [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question about the top ten furniture companies in the USA. Does anyone know who are the top ten furnitute companies in the USA? Or does anyone know where I can find this information on the web? Thank you.

Electrical companies [ 7 Answers ]

Respected Sir/Madam I like to get the information of kolkata based electrical companies with their contact address,telephone no. & web-site address. This is related to the campus placement of NETAJI SHUBHASH ENGINEERING COLLEGE for electrical engineering department students. Thanks...

Web hosting companies [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone have any suggestions for a web hosting company. I need to know the pros and cons of both. I went ona site that listed a few of them and compared them. What do you think of these if oyu know them: Powweb - www.powweb.com Ipower - ipower.com Blue host - bluehost.com

View more questions Search