Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fritzbee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 06:07 AM
    GFCI outlets and breakers
    I am remodeling a basement and the power going down comes off a split pole 20 amp breaker with 12/2 wire. I was told I need to install a GFCI. Is it possible to install 1 in the first outlet and the other 5 in line thereafter will be protected as well or would it be better to reeplace the breaker with a split GFCI. The house is 20 years old and the other half of the current breaker serves the kitchen. Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:43 AM
    No, do not do the breaker, install the GFI receptacles in the first outlet of the circuit, as you mentioned.

Keep in mind thou, if the basement is finished off as livable space, such as a den, family room, etc, the outlets now do not need to be GFI protected. Only outlets in an UN-finished basement need GFI protection.
    jack tozzi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    No, do not do the breaker, install the GFI receptacles in the first outlet of the circuit, as you mentioned.

Keep in mind thou, if the basement is finished off as livable space, such as a den, family room, etc, the outlets now do not need to be GFI protected. Only outlets in an UN-finished basement need GFI protection.
    Can a GFI outlet installed on first outlet and rest on load be a replacement of a arc fault

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Line and other Load Outlets [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, all. I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit with a GFCI installed in my downstairs bathroom, with an non-GFCI outlet (load) terminating into my upstairs bathroom. All 12/2. Can I run a fixture off the load line in between the two outlets, like a light and switch?

Circuit breakers [ 16 Answers ]

I purchased and ready to install a new diahwasher. The instructions call for a 15 amp circuit breaker. The current breaker is a 10 amp breaker solely for the dishwasher. Can I use the 10 amp or should I change the breaker to 15 amp? How difficult would it be to change?

GFCI Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quick question and am hoping for an easy answer... I have just remodeled our kitchen and in doing so wanted to have two circuits at the countertop. I ran a 12/3 wire into the first box, tied the reds together and ran the black and neutral through the GFCI. At the second box, I tied...

220 Outlets & GFCI Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm wanting to add some 220 outlets in the garage to run my woodworking equipment, and I have a couple of questions. First, can I run one 220 circuit with approximately 4 plugins on it? Only 1 piece of equipment will ever be used at one time (or does this violate code? ). Also, I'm under the...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search