More because of which as soon as the sound waves in the
    Smoke enters in that huge volume, some parts of sound
    Hit the walls surrounding outer whole of that huge
    Volume box & as a result volume of the sound is
    Decreased.

http://geocities.com/idrees_scientist/Silencer.htm

So is my understanig of silencer right that sound is
    Dimmed because some parts of the sound waves can't
    Escape from the huge volumed box of the silencer?
    Please visit this, here I've depicted what I want to ask.
    http://geocities.com/idrees_scientist/Silencer.htm
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 22, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Not quite - the way a muffler on a car works is it smooths out the major peaks and valleys in the pressure of the exhaust gasses. An automobile engine produces very sharp and high pressure waves in the exhaust, which we hear as loud noise. When the exhaust gas enters the muffler it buffers the pressure waves into a more constant stream - actually through its geometry by cancelling out the pressure peaks and valleys in the gas stream. Consequently we don't perceive it as being as loud.

Here's a more complete explanation:

Howstuffworks "How Mufflers Work"
    Idrees Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2007, 01:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Not quite - the way a muffler on a car works is it smooths out the major peaks and valleys in the pressure of the exhaust gasses. An automobile engine produces very sharp and high pressure waves in the exhaust, which we hear as loud noise. When the exhaust gas enters the muffler it buffers the pressure waves into a more constant stream - actually through its geometry by cancelling out the pressure peaks and valleys in the gas stream. Consequently we don't perceive it as being as loud.

Here's a more complete explanation:

Howstuffworks "How Mufflers Work"
    I don't know how to make a silencer in which exhaust fan's coprissions and rarafactions can be cpmbined

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nothing works. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm seriously scared to look in mirrors in public. I'm 14, 5'6, and 150. I'm literally disgusted. I've tried everything, not eating for a certain amount of time.. diet pills.. working out 5 days a week. NOTHING WORKS. I want to weigh 110 before school. But it seems like its never going to happen....

Nothing works [ 3 Answers ]

I tired it use my A/C and it would not come on. No fan, no condenser, nothing. Then about 2 weeks later it just kicked on like nothing was ever wrong, it worked just fine for about 3 days. Now, again nothing is working. I can't get the heat, A/C, or fan to kick on. Sometimes the thermostat...

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

View more questions Search