Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xEoMxMoAxx Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Dreams actually knowing what will happen in real life?
    So the other day I had this dream. It was about my sister and she had fallen down the stairs and sprained her ankle, and had to go to the ER. Well when I woke up an hour or two later and I went downstairs my dad told me my sister fell down the stairs and broke her ankle and he had to go to the ER with her, and that he would be back later. Is this just sheer coincidence? That this happened or is it something else?
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Aug 22, 2007, 01:36 AM
    Hi,

Ordinarily I don't believe that dreams can foretell the future. If they do I am in BIG trouble (LoL)

However once, many years ago I had a dream about an event and this actually came true a few days later.

Whether this dream did foretell the future or it was simply one of the strangest coincidences, I don't know and probably never will.

Although I have had 1000s of dreams since, no others have come true, but I cannot say whether dreams are a psychic link to the future or not.

I do hope your sister's ankle was not actually broken and that she is well on the way to recovery.

Poseidon
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Can you hear the stairs from where you are? I think that you heard your sister fall down the stairs, and you heard the conversation about her going to ER, and your brain just filled in the visuals for you.
    kkimes Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2007, 08:25 PM
    More than likely if the stairs are close by then your subconsious caught on to the activity going on around you, but all the same I won't dismiss that you might have an account of knowing through dreams... I've done it myself on more than one occasion, though usually with my own dreams it is usually when the same dream occurs more than once, and often a few months before any incident happens.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 12:20 AM
    I do know that, a long time ago, I dreamt the solution to repairing a part on a piano that I was not able to figure out when I was awake. I believe that my mind was so intense on finding the solution, that it kept working on it when I was asleep. The solution to the problem that I had dreamt worked. In a way, that was knowing what would happen because of what I had dreamt.

Can you hear the stairs from where you are? I think that you heard your sister fall down the stairs, and you heard the conversation about her going to ER, and your brain just filled in the visuals for you.
    I very much agree with the answer above. I also would like to add the following:

Usually, there are logical explanations one can arrive at in the awake state that can be used to explain why you dream what you do. Sometimes, because of our concern for someone, we might interpret what we have dreamt to be an actual representation of what will happen in the near or far future. What we remember about the contents of our dreams can be so scattered that the interpretation of them is often left up to our imaginations when we are awake. We can therefore, because of the oftentimes foggy contents of our dreams and our wishful thinking, place them as some sort of sign or foretelling of the future.
    nikki_22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 10

Sep 18, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Yes, you could very well have had a prophetic dream. People usually have a very strong psychic link to their siblings. One way to see if your dreams have any bearing on real events is to keep a dream journal. Every time you wake up, write down any dreams you have had. Make sure to include not just the events, but any feelings etc. you had about the things in the dreams. Look back through your journal from time to time and see if anything has come true. Look for symbols in your dreams too. For example, deep water may mean a big personal issue, or a dream of an elementary school teacher could mean your childhood. Hope this helps!
    fsfsfs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 02:01 PM
    HI this happens to me to! Freaky huh? PLEASE contact me @ are-you-different.webs.com PLEASE I'm trying to figure this out...
    dave85333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 11:33 PM
    I had a dream of meeting a girl who I had never seen in my life on a bus, then a few months later I moved house, and the girl from that dream months ago turned out to be my new neighbor, this is a new place new person id never seen before apart from this dream a few months earlier, so please for those who believe we don't see are future explain how I was to see this girl in my dream who id never met before then months later meet her, when I saw her I froze and I had this weird feeling, and I was like what the hell, now I know I didn't meet her in real life on a bus and did in the dream but the girl alone is freaky. Please explain.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Mar 24, 2011, 12:35 AM

I am not going to refute if dreams have meaning or can be predictive.

The facts are that the human brain is capable of making up memories.
    It is a possibility that the girl you dreamed of is similar in appearance to the girl you met and your brain "pinned" her face , body, and whatever onto the girl you met.

That is one possible explanation... of many.
    dave85333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Comment on martinizing2's post
    It was the same girl because id never met any one who looked like her before. Not in anyway, and I've dreamt things and they've happened the same way I've dreamt them
    slacherX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 05:18 AM
    Out all of what I've read I can agree that dreams come from the future. For example I dreampt for 3 nights and it was a family moving in and I remember what all of them looked like, what it looked like,weather,etc . The next morning (when I woke up) I saw them move in and it happened the same way. Just like dave85333 in a short period of time like poseidon. Except I'm far away from the house and my parents never talk about moving.the reason I started looking for these types of sites is because I have been dreaming for 3 years now about writing letters to a girl (because I'm not gay) that I had a real connection with. And I dreampt of here coming to the exact location I'm going to and, my dreams that allways happen (or as some you put it as "coincidence")is short term and I started looking for answers. But all my dreams started to come when I moved to tenneesee.so here is my question, is it the loacation that matters where you are to tell time or future.
    Kanade Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 06:11 PM
    There's this boy I like and a lot of the times I have dreams that go a lot like this: Once I had a dream and the guy I liked was in it and we were in this house and he would always stay around me and hold my hand like we were boyfriend and girlfriend then all of a suddon he would try and stay away from me. Then in real life I would always catch him looking at me and trying to talk to me then it all went down hill and he had to start hanging out with the popular people and talk to the other girls... THAT SUCKS!!
    Kanade Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 06:15 PM
    This happened to me once, before I went to bed I told myself what I wanted to happen in my dream that night and it did... IS'NT THAT SWEET!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting a girl I've been talking to online in real life for the first time... [ 66 Answers ]

I've been talking to this girl from Match.com for a few weeks now on AIM and on the phone, and tomorrow night we're meeting for the first time in real life. I'm keeping it to a short and casual dinner after we both get off work. Any advice? I've never done this before and I'm kind of...

Real Life Based Film [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the title to this film... Its about this poor married couple that live in a small town and the wife gives birth to about 5 or 6 babies at once but because they are sooo poor... they can't afford to look after them or anything and this rich couple see the babies...

Nature vs Nurture - Biology vs Real Life [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my daughter who is almost 8. My husband and I have been together almost 8 years. We began dating when she was 3 months old. He has been the only father she has ever really known and has treated her as if she were his own. Her “biological” father (I use that term...

Newtonian Particle Mechanics vs Real Life! [ 1 Answers ]

In classical mechanics, we tend to consider objects as partcles with translational motion (or rigid bodies when considering rotational motion); that is to say that we treat them as if they possess no dimensions, and thus as if all forces act through 1 point. (the centre of mass) Obviously using...

View more questions Search