Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lekmon5555 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Tooth Extraction
    Hi

My middle molar (used for chewing) broke of from the side, and I went to see the dentist who informed me that the tooth was dead and under the gum infected, so I have to take the tooth out inorder to prevent the infection from spreading to the other molar (the last one at the back). But my problem is I am 21 and I already lost the same tooth on the bottom left side of my mouth and now they are telling me I have to remove the one on the right side, this really disturbs me, because I feel I am too young to be losing my chewing teeth. The dentist said a root canal really wouldn't help my situation, that I would have to take it out and have maybe a bridge in if I don't like the gap. The thing about the bridge is that they would have to reshape the other two molars just for the bridge, and this really bothers me a lot, because I feel that would only cause more problems for me in the future, the dentist has also suggested that I could leave the gap after tooth extraction since I can still chew with the other two molars. I really do not know what to do. I would like some type of advise on this issue, after this extraction I would have lost two molars, one on each side and I can't deal with this.
    Please whatever suggestions you have will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 07:29 PM
    You can get a seconds dentist position, but just being young does not mean you can't have bad teeth, or go bald or have a bad back and more.
    You have bad teeth for some reason, your DNA, your early dental health or something. One of my sons friend is 17 and she had all of her teeth pulled last year because of very bad teeth.

And yes you can deal with it, so you don't have all your teeth, leave it in and you won't have any teeth fairly soon.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 07:45 PM
    I disagree. You have at least one other option that I know of. And it is becoming more common daily. Oral implants. They are considered stronger than the original tooth. And in my honest opinion, a much more viable option than a bridge or partials, which would require their own maintenance hassles. Some are two prong, some are a single.

Dental Implants: The Permanent Solution for Tooth Loss

The bad tooth will most likely have to come out, what ever you do.
    renee78 Posts: 37, Reputation: 6

Aug 22, 2007, 02:47 AM
    Your situation is two fold, what to do with this particular problem, and how to prevent it in the future. Im assuming that the tooth is unsalvageable, considering that RCT was not an option. If this tooth is that grossly decayed and/or broken, then Im afraid that is your only option. You do, however have quite a few options on replacement, each differing in cost and suitability. You can do nothing, but you do risk movement or drifting of your other teeth. You could consider a bridge, however that is only ideal if the teeth on either side would benefit from crowning (heavily filled, etc). Yes, an implant is an option, however there are many things that need to be taken into consideration when implants are involved- gum heath, oral hygiene, bone quality, etc. Implants are the best way to replace a single missing tooth, however you need to address the issues at hand first, why did you end up losing these teeth??
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 03:21 AM
    I totally agree with renee78's reply. You must find out why have you lost 2 permanent molars that have only been in your mouth for less than 10 yrs?
    Yussss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 11:24 PM
    ^ I lost 2 molars that have been in my mouth for 5 years! I never cease to amaze myself :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth pain after extraction [ 4 Answers ]

I had a tooth pulled about 5 days ago, 3 days after the extraction a tooth on the same jaw(lower) started to hurt, the tooth that was pulled was the very back tooth (bottom) the tooth that is now in pain is a front (lower) tooth. Is this related to the extraction? Or what!

Knot on my gums after tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the dentist last Tuesday had my left bottom molar pulled. My jaw bone (I though) was still killing me on Thursday & I went back to the dentist that afternoon to make sure I didn't have dry socket, he said it was heeling fine & looked great, Friday afternoon I noticed a knot on the outside...

Tightness in jaw after tooth extraction [ 1 Answers ]

I had two back teeth pulled last tues May 15th. One on the top left, and the other on the bottom right, and my left is fine, but on the right I have had some tightness in my jaw. They had to cut it out and there were stitches all the way back on my gums and cheek, on the right side. Also it is...

Tooth Extraction in a 3 Yr Old [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my son's front tooth is kind of loosen (or least when I wiggle it). He does not complain of any pain, but the tooth is getting darker (like a brownish color). We have an Dentist Appt. already made, but my concern is will the Dentist want to extract the tooth?

Total tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 43. Yesterday she had all her teeth pulled and new ones Put in. She did OK until late last night, when she began throwing up. She Told me the teeth had to go. Now she is waiting for the swellilng to go down So she can put them back in. Is this going to happen soon, as she has...

View more questions Search