Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crusher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
    PC Boots, Power off and display "no signal"
    I was building a PC of my own and came across a problem - as the PC boots up the power goess off with " no signal" appears on the screen. Motherboard used is P4 MSI.

Can someone kindly give me some approaches to fix this problem.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 06:49 PM
    My quick guess - power supply problem. It's normal for the monitor to display "No Signal" when going to sleep. But the PC shouldn't power off by itself. I'd also check the wall power outlets for proper wiring.

(edit) when I say power supply, I mean the internal one that powers the PC. Rich
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 21, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Some MSI Motherboards come with Diagnostic LED's on a bracket, that often also has a few USB ports. If yours came with these, make sure they're plugged into the right pins on the motherboard, and boot up. The lights have different configurations while booting to show where the motherboard is in the process. The manual should be able to tell you what lights mean what (usually there are 4 lights, and they can be either red, green, or off)

That's how I found out my RAM was bad :)
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 22, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Both of the above are good suggestions, also make sure the CPU fan is pluged in and running. Most mobo's will shut down if the CPU fan is not running.
    ChiGuyRy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crusher
    I was building a PC of my own and came across a problem - as the PC boots up the power goess off with " no signal" appears on the screen. Motherboard used is P4 MSI.

Can someone kindly give me some approaches to fix this problem.
    Try replacing your video card with another from another machine. Always replace known good with possible bad until you find your problem.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 07:54 AM
    I don't know if the OP is still checking this but the monitor connector could just be loose or damaged. Check the connection and let us know if you have tried any of the above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"No Signal" on Monitor; PC power on but not booting up [ 5 Answers ]

I have a PC I built about 6 months ago that I've never had any problems with. Now when I turn it on I get "no signal" on my monitor. The problem is not the monitor though... the PC does not give any "beeps" or show signs of booting up... though the lights are on, all components seem to be...

Monitor starts up until after windows xp loading then says "no Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, last night my friend came round with his laptop an we watched a film using my monitor. I turned off my computer, unplugged the monitor an plugged it into his laptop, we watched the film fine, he went home. Next day in the morning I went to turn my comuter on, it loaded up until just after the...

Cannot open "display" in my control panel. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi' I have always been able to figure out how to fix my problems and now I have one I can't seem to fix without reinstalling windows xp. I cannot open my display in the control panel or even in my command prompt. It doesn't give me an error message or anything it just doesn't open. I need some...

Computer is on, But Monitor display "No signal" [ 5 Answers ]

I am running on Window 2000 Professional OS, When I not touch the computer for 10 or 20 minutes(the time is not fixed), the monitor goes off and display "no signal". Then I cannot do anything except turn the computer off by press the computer power button. When I turn on the computer again,...

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

View more questions Search