Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jas019 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Stinky fridge
    Our fridge is giving off a moldy odor but we've checked the drain pan, filter and tubing and those are in great shape. The drain pan is completely dry. The smell fills our kitchen at times so we are eager to fix whatever is causing it. Any suggestions?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Are you sure it's not something outside the fridge? Or under?

As for the fridge, the specially boxed baking soda works for a while, but can get expensive, and don't last. They are better suited for keeping the air clean, just not cleaning it (IMO too slow).

Thow out any old food (obviously). But also any older plastic pitchers or containers, as they, too, will hold odors. Defrost the fridge and wipe the shelves and walls (main box and freezer & don't forget the gaskets on both doors) with a mild solution of regular bleach and then air everything out.

Once your satisfied that it's clean and all, fire up the fridge and put a couple, two or three charcoal briquettes (don't use the self-lighting type) in a disposable plastic cup. The charcoal will absorb anything left and when you detect the slightest odor, toss 'em and put in fresh one's.

If the odor maybe from outside the fridge, the same charcoal method works outside, too. Put the plastic cup in an inconspicuous location (but somewhere you won't forget) and let it work. Change it out periodically when you suspect the briquettes are getting "full".

Let me now if this worked for you as well as it worked for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We have two bathrooms and both toilets clog a lot, and the two sinks and showers drains are slow. Kitchen drain is fine. This all started when one of the toilets over flowed and a lot of water got on the floor. We have laminate flooring in the bathroom that we just had installed about 6 months...

Stinky Toilet! [ 4 Answers ]

Lately I have noticed an odor coming from our second bathroom. It gets used very rarely but I couldn't figure out what is was. It is a new toilet, haven't even had it a year, so I am not sure what is going on. I have narrowed it down though to the back of the bowl. When I take the lid off there...

Stinky dishes [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever I run my dishwasher, when it gets to the drying cycle I get a strong odor (stinky). Even the dishes will smell if I let them stay in there to dry. I also started to notice it in my garbage disposal. Could it be my roof vent is clogged? We had a plumber come out and look at the lines to...

Stinky Cats [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 males cats; a Siamese and a Maine Coon. When these boys use the litter box the smell is unbearable! Is it because they are boys and don't cover up their business with litter? Is it the food I am feeding them? I have tried every type litter, deoderant powder, etc... I keep their litter...

View more questions Search