Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 01:21 PM
    What is the difference
    Could someone please tell me the difference between ac cable / mc cable and bx cable
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 21, 2007, 01:27 PM
    From Power cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Named cable types
    Common types of general-purpose cables used by electricians are defined by national or international regulations or codes. Commonly-used types of power cables are often known by a "shorthand" name. For example, NEC type NM-B (Non-Metallic, variant B), often referred to as RomexTM (named by the Rome Wire Company, now a trademark of Southwire Company [1]), is a cable with a nonmetallic jacket. UF (underground feeder) is also nonmetallic but uses a moisture- and sunlight-resistant construction suitable for direct burial in the earth or where exposed to sunlight, or in wet, dry, or corrosive locations. Type AC is a fabricated assembly of insulated conductors in a flexible metallic armor, made by twisting an interlocking metal strip around the conductors. BX, an early genericized trademark of the General Electric company was used before and during World War II, designating a particular design of armored cable.

In Canada, type TECK cable, with a flexible aluminum or steel armor and overall flame-retardant PVC jacket, is used in industry for wet or dry locations, run in trays or attached to building structure, above grade or buried in earth. A similar type of cable is designated type MC in the United States.

Electrical power cables are often installed in raceways including electrical conduit, and cable trays, which may contain one or more conductors.

Mineral-insulated copper-clad cable (type MI) is a fire-resistant cable using magnesium oxide as an insulator. It is used in demanding applications such as fire alarms and oil refineries.
    Interesting. You learn something new every day.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
    The Wikipedia article above doesn't address type "MC" which is Metal Clad cable. It may look similar to AC, except MC has a ground wire in the bundle (i.e, the metal clad is not a legitimate ground path), whereas AC has an internal bonded strip of copper or aluminum to ensure continuity of the armor. Type MC may be rated for outdoors use; type AC is not. Finally, the construction of MC may have either a smooth sheath (and possibly a plastic outer sheath over that) or may be corrugated, similar to AC.

Do you have a particular application that you're interested in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the difference? [ 15 Answers ]

What's the difference between the birth control if its prescribed for period pains or one for contraceptive use ? Also if you list different brands of pill for me to research it would be much appreciated because I can't find any named on the web.

What is the difference? [ 4 Answers ]

I am changing over from a gas heat system to electric. I have read how efficient the heat pumps are but it gets pretty confusing. I am looking at the goodman 2.5 ton ac unit and seporate airhandler (10kw heat strips) package 13 seer and I am looking at the goodman 2.5 ton heatpump with the same...

Difference [ 1 Answers ]

Please anyone tell me the difference between a Corporation and an Incorporation.

What's the difference? [ 4 Answers ]

;) Hi, Anyone knows the difference between "conversation" And "dialogue"? I appreciate your help.

View more questions Search