Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 22, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Wait, I've got another smartarse answer for the original question.

I can name more than two!

E, R, and N.

Aug 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Entropy is often described as a measure of randomness. Heat flows from hotter to colder, in the universe as a whole, this is called the increase in entropy. The rate of entropy increase can change but it should never decrease, and so increasing entropy is eternal (maybe it might decrease in a black hole or at the big bang, nobody knows).

Does that make any sense whatsoever? :P
    I would have agreed with you until a few weeks ago. I read on wikipedia (I know, not that reliable of a source, but it makes sense), that entropy is only true on a macroscopic scale. Picture two atoms. The idea of entropy is that eventually, the speed and motion of the atoms will reach an equillibrium. With as little as two atoms, however, it is possible that the atoms could bouce off each other in such a way that the slower moving atom actually gives up some of it's veolicity and the faster one gets faster. Granted, it's likely to happen the other way more often than not. When you add more atoms, you get to take the average of the progression toward equillibrium of all of them. The more atoms, the less stastical chance you have of moving away from equillibrium than toward it. Thus, it only works on a macroscopic scale, still with a teeeeny tiny margin for error, negligible though it may be.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 6, 2007, 02:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    How would you answer that question crow ?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    How would you answer that question crow ?
    What question:)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Sep 17, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    The only thing that I find absolute and never-changing is man's spiritual quest, I believe it is eternal.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 07:51 AM
    keenu,
    That can't be right since many people care zero for spirituality.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 17, 2007, 08:04 AM
    That really nice Swedish vodka is one!

Oh no, that's Absolut...

*Gutted*

Sep 17, 2007, 08:07 AM
    NK, even though many people appear to not care about spirituality I believe that we are each,all 100% of us, involved in our own spiritual quest. That is the basis of all that is, our spirituality, our spiritual being. All stems from that. If you go back in time what is it that you find consistently from the beginning? A search for the truth, a spiritual quest for what, how and why we are here.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    NK, even though many people appear to not care about spirituality I believe that we are each,all 100% of us, involved in our own spiritual quest.
    Just because YOU are involved in a spiritual quest does not mean all humans are. Of course you say that everyone needs to worship the Great Flying Spagetti Monster (tasty be his sauce) whether they know it or not, and that includes you.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    I would have agreed with you until a few weeks ago. I read on wikipedia (I know, not that reliable of a source, but it makes sense), that entropy is only true on a macroscopic scale. Picture two atoms. The idea of entropy is that eventually, the speed and motion of the atoms will reach an equillibrium. With as little as two atoms, however, it is possible that the atoms could bouce off each other in such a way that the slower moving atom actually gives up some of it's veolicity and the faster one gets faster. Granted, it's likely to happen the other way more often than not. When you add more atoms, you get to take the average of the progression toward equillibrium of all of them. The more atoms, the less stastical chance you have of moving away from equillibrium than toward it. Thus, it only works on a macroscopic scale, still with a teeeeny tiny margin for error, negligable though it may be.
    I realise that increasing entropy can be broken on a quantum scale, but would you say that the universe is not macroscopic?

Sep 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I realise that increasing entropy can be broken on a quantum scale, but would you say that the universe is not macroscopic?
    I didn't say it wasn't macroscopic, I'm just saying that even though the chance of entropy decreasing in something as massive and macroscopic as the entire universe is so negligible that it's almost not worth mentioning, I'd still like to mention it... it was that word 'almost,' so here we are... heh.

So yeah, I agree. Universe=macroscopic, but decrease in entropy is still possible, though insanely improbable.
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Sep 17, 2007, 09:12 PM
    No beginning no end.
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Sep 17, 2007, 09:21 PM
    No beginning. No End.
    Am I right? I thought about this all night .
    This has to be it.

Sep 18, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Just because YOU are involved in a spiritual quest does not mean all humans are. Of course you say that everyone needs to worship the Great Flying Spagetti Monster (tasty be his sauce) whether they know it or not, and that includes you.
    There are no gods to worship in my quest! Spirituality has nothing to do with religion. Spirituality is simply recognition that we exist outside of physical reality. That we exist even when we are not here in a physical body.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    There are no gods to worship in my quest! Spirituality has nothing to do with religion. Spirituality is simply recognition that we exist outside of physical reality. That we exist even when we are not here in a physical body.
    Hi Patty

I believe in Spirituality in the sense that it is a type of belonging; and that spiritualities exists outside of physical reality, but I am hesitant to believe, “ That we exist even when we are not here in a physical body.”

Bill:)
    bankaibuddhist Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 08:42 PM
    I know one is a human's disire to satisfy his own needs above that of others. Often when people join clubs like save the environment it is to satisfy their need to belong. To what extent we help others is the question. To help others feel to receive a sense of belonging is all right. But it isn't if it is for example if you help others because you feel it is the popular in thing to do. For example to join a club dedicated to cleaning up garbage at a local high school. You join the club because you feel like everyone is doing it and you want to flirt with the opposite sex and spoof around. The issue is not something you never have given very much thought into. This might be compensated by how great the act is. Politicians act in the name of self. But they do will do great things in the name of self people will remember them for. There are however many selfless deeds people take on themselves every day without regard for what they need. There is a fine line between what people really need and really want.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 10:43 PM
    1) Everything is always changing.
    2) Concrete is going to crack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does random exist [ 48 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if random exists within physics. If not, if there's only one way something can happen depending on how it happens, and future events are determined by present and past events.. then surely the future can't be controlled.. it could only happen that one way. Is choice...

Does Truth Exist? [ 36 Answers ]

Does Truth Exist? My belief is that the truth varies with each individual. There is no truth, there is only what each person perceives to be the truth. If we are in conflict with someone regarding truth, the best thing to do would be to accept that everyone sees what they want to see...

Do ghost dolls really exist? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm wondering if ghost dolls really exist. Please share stories about your expieriences with ghost dolls or really scary dolls.

The one may truly not exist. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my friend told me this riddle before he went away. It's been weeks and sadly I still can't figure it out. Can anyone help solve it? Have you ever fell so far into someone.. that the only thing you could do was hold on to the breathe of there presence... Because comes a day when you wake...

The guy I like doesn't know I exist. [ 3 Answers ]

There is this guy I like. I have only seen him around campus a few times. I asked people if they knew him and if so what info they can give me. So far I know his name and that he's a 19 year old freshman and he lives in my dorm building! I have never had a boyfriend before. I always end up...

View more questions Search