Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    The laws of time and space. Our interpretation of time and space may change, but the laws themselves will not.
    Given the history of Einstein, Galileo, and Kepler I can’t help but be skeptical. :)
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 21, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    The laws of time and space. Our interpretation of time and space may change, but the laws themselves will not.
    Nice.

One thing though... I believe the bender quote in your signature was "Must be my lucky shades" in that episode (instead of lucky specs). Leela's old boss was the one who said "Oh my various gods, they're x-ray specs!" That's my favorite episode, especially since the title has the word "Requisitioned" in it.

Aug 21, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Given the history of Einstein, Galileo, and Kepler I can’t help but be skeptical. :)
    Hes saying that the laws don't change. People used to think that the sun revolved around the earth. They were wrong, but that didn't make the fact that the earth revolves around the sun any less true.

People used to think leeches cured sickness. That didn't make it true, people were just wrong.

We may be wrong about what we think the laws of spacetime are right now, but whatever they are, they don't change.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:14 PM
    So everyone, in all this meaning less/ful thread, what is the real answer that everyone agrees on ;)

Eternity does exist that much I know, but does anything other than the Creator exist before time,during time and beyond time?
    As someone said the stars have a limited timespan, the universe itself seem to have begun with a Bang and that means there was a time when everything within the universe did not exist.

Is that philosophical enough!? ;)

And Chris,
    "We may be wrong about what we think the laws of spacetime are right now, but whatever they are, they don't change."

I agree with the humans assumed as laws may not be correct, but as space and time was non existent long ago then how can we say they don't change?
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 12:45 AM
    "Comments on this post by firmbeliever
    retsoksirhc agrees: You bring up a good point. I don't know that they existed, if, in fact, there was a devine creation. I can't discredit religions to make my statement."

Hey Chris,

Are you not agreeing with me in that time and space not existing long ago?:)
    I thought it was scientific theory that the universe began with the big bang and has been changing since then and that it was non existent before then.

Would like to hear your thoughts.. :)
    encyclopedia Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2007, 02:05 AM
    I think Change and Questions are two absolutes that exist and never change.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by encyclopedia
    I think [F]Change and [F]Questions are two absolutes that exist and never change.
    Probably so. But, it all depends on what someone thinks about it. There can be many variables.

Aug 22, 2007, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Hey Chris,

Are you not agreeing with me in that time and space not existing long ago?:)
    I thought it was scientific theory that the universe began with the big bang and has been changing since then and that it was non existent before then.

Would like to hear your thoughts..:)
    As I understand it, the universe still existed, but in a very compressed state. I'm still not saying that time didn't exist, I'm just saying that some people don't believe in the big bang theory, and instead believe that God created everything out of nothing. While I maybe not believe so myself, I can't discredit their opinion, so I agree that if they're right, then the laws of spacetime did change when it happened. Not saying that it actually happened, just that it could have.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Chris
    I agree the Almighty created the universe out of nothing with a Big bang...
    How does that sound?

Aug 22, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Chris
    How does that sound?
    It sounds like your opinion. I disagree, in that I think there was the same amount of matter before the big bang, but it was concentrated to a small area. Then a large amount of energy caused it to expand explosively.
    That's what I choose to believe, though either one might be true.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    Hes saying that the laws don't change. People used to think that the sun revolved around the earth. They were wrong, but that didn't make the fact that the earth revolves around the sun any less true.

People used to think leeches cured sickness. That didn't make it true, people were just wrong.

We may be wrong about what we think the laws of spacetime are right now, but whatever they are, they don't change.
    We can no more be certain about the extended future than if we based our beliefs from reading the future in the entrails of pigs and the ashes of logs; that said: Just who wrote the Laws? To my knowledge language is part of social reality. What is really being said is that things are what they are, and although true, it is a useless truth.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Chris
    How does that sound?
    It sounds absurd.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Okay, from a scientific point of view, the two things that you MIGHT be able to get scientists to agree are eternal are Mass-Energy and Entropy Increase.

But, then again, nobody understands the physics of the first few fractions of a second of the big bang, so maybe these things were determined then and didn't exist before, so they certainly weren't eternal.

That's why I said MIGHT :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Okay, from a scientific point of view, the two things that you MIGHT be able to get scientists to agree are eternal are Mass-Energy and Entropy Increase.

But, then again, nobody understands the physics of the first few fractions of a second of the big bang, so maybe these things were determined then and didn't exist before, so they certainly weren't eternal.

That's why I said MIGHT :)
    I can buy into kinetic energy, but not sure about mass-energy, given the properties may change. As far as Entropy Increase; I think we need a better understanding of Entropy.

However, I can agree with the might!
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Mass and energy are equivalent and mass-energy cannot be destroyed (in any scenario that we know of - i.e. it might happen in a black hole or something).

Kinetic energy can be created and destroyed, for example move your hand, you are creating and destroying kinetic energy, it is converting into or from other forms of energy. Energy is normally, for our human range of experiences, never created or destroyed. But einstein tells us that mass can be turned into energy. Thus the total amount of mass-energy in the universe is constant, but mass and energy can both change.

Entropy is often described as a measure of randomness. Heat flows from hotter to colder, in the universe as a whole, this is called the increase in entropy. The rate of entropy increase can change but it should never decrease, and so increasing entropy is eternal (maybe it might decrease in a black hole or at the big bang, nobody knows).

Does that make any sense whatsoever? :P
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Is entropy causing global warming??
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Not really firm. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Hello DC:

"What are two absolutes that exist in eternity and never change?"

I'm going to post my two and then go see who (if anyone) said the same thing.

In fact, I can't think of any more than two, or any less. Eternity 1) has no beginning and 2) has no end.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Thanks Capuchin for clarifying I did not think so either but had to ask to be sure :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello DC:

"What are two absolutes that exist in eternity and never change?"

I'm gonna post my two and then go see who (if anyone) said the same thing.

In fact, I can't think of any more than two, or any less. Eternity 1) has no beginning and 2) has no end.

excon
    Ola excon

There doesn’t seem to be any proof of beginning or end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does random exist [ 48 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if random exists within physics. If not, if there's only one way something can happen depending on how it happens, and future events are determined by present and past events.. then surely the future can't be controlled.. it could only happen that one way. Is choice...

Does Truth Exist? [ 36 Answers ]

Does Truth Exist? My belief is that the truth varies with each individual. There is no truth, there is only what each person perceives to be the truth. If we are in conflict with someone regarding truth, the best thing to do would be to accept that everyone sees what they want to see...

Do ghost dolls really exist? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm wondering if ghost dolls really exist. Please share stories about your expieriences with ghost dolls or really scary dolls.

The one may truly not exist. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my friend told me this riddle before he went away. It's been weeks and sadly I still can't figure it out. Can anyone help solve it? Have you ever fell so far into someone.. that the only thing you could do was hold on to the breathe of there presence... Because comes a day when you wake...

The guy I like doesn't know I exist. [ 3 Answers ]

There is this guy I like. I have only seen him around campus a few times. I asked people if they knew him and if so what info they can give me. So far I know his name and that he's a 19 year old freshman and he lives in my dorm building! I have never had a boyfriend before. I always end up...

View more questions Search