Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeniGuti Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2007, 11:06 AM
    We phoned Roto Rooter to clean our sewer line
    Its been since May our toilet has been very sluggish, and the other day we made up our mind to have them clean out our sewer line (Roto Rooter) tomorrow morning. What really scares me is a house across the street just had their sewer line dug up and replaced. Oh Lord, I hope it doesn't come to that, we just had our water main replaced 2 yrs ago and paid over $2,000.00. I figured roto rooter will clean out the line and might not be as quick to dig up the whole line. That house was built in the 60's. Our home was built in 1989. I assume we have PVC line. Did they use PVC under ground also? What do they use under ground then and now a days?

We have been very careful not to throw anything down there since May... but I am sure this has been going on for a while. There have been 3 other owners before us. Not many people get the line cleaned I think. We had our sink line cleaned out 3 yrs ago. Does the sink line and the toilet line all meet at the end of the sewer? The other drains are fine, its just the toilet line. We have 2 toilets, one on the main level and one in the basement. They both are a little sluggish, the one upstairs is more sluggish than the basement line.

I guess I will let you know what happens tomorrow after he comes. Any feed back would be appreciated.:eek:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
    All your drains come together eventually as they leave the house. The toilets appear sluggish because they drain more water faster than a sink. Before Roto Rooter does their think I would suggest that you use a toilet rodder and try to clear the first 3-4 feet yourself. That is frequently where the clogs happen. Your sewer pipe is likely CPVC.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Before you call in outside help try this. I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Your sewer line is most likely PVC. Regards Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I would have course dig it out by hand before I would call that company, they cheated me so bad in Atlanta ( actually my wife because I was not at home) There was a small root issue in the line, they came out messed up the bath room and changed about 300 dollars to tell me that the line was collasped and they would have to come out and dig it up for several thousand dollars.

Well I hired someone else to dig it up, to find it was only roots, I was so mad.
    DeniGuti Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2007, 06:53 AM
    [QUOTE=speedball1]Before you call in outside help try this. I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action.

Tom:
    There was indeed mineral build up, I could hardly get my finger through it. I used a drain snake to break through the stuff. I also am going to purchase a knife to scrape the rest off. We will buy a toilet auger, also for safe keeping. The toilet flushes so much stronger now. You really know your stuff, and we canceled Roto rooter. My husband is forever grateful. God bless you. We live in MD and I guess they have hard water. The toilet hole downstairs did not have the mineral build up. I don't know why. But THANKS again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer clean out location question [ 7 Answers ]

I had some problems with my drain in January and eventually found my clean out under 10 inches of dirt and mulch. Thanks, speedball1, for advice for the cover. Now my neighbor is trying to find her clean out. (She has had some drain issues in the past and the plumbers have told her they...

Installing sewer clean out yourself? Can it be done? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband wants to install our sewer clean out himself. I don't want it to sound like he is not handy, but... Anyway, the sewer repair technician quoted a price of $1300 to do the job. My husband says he can do it himself. He talked to a friend of his that is a plumber who told him what parts...

Sewer clean-out [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning to replace my asphalt driveway and wooden front entrance walkway with concrete. But before I do that, I'd like to check the condition of my sewer clean-out to make sure that the many trees I had in the front yard didn't affect the sewer line leading to the street with their roots. I'd...

Sewer Clean Out [ 2 Answers ]

How do i go about locating the sewer clean out?

Sewer clean out [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought an old stone farm house. The contractor and previous owner recently abondanded the septic field and connected the house waste to the city sewer system. He did this after we bought the property. I observed that the sewer clean out junction was not a "t" connection but a "u" shaped...

View more questions Search