Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ali2007 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 11:52 AM
    I don't understand what you mean!
    I have written her and other neighbours a letter which I posted on here, after her winning in court for her racism accusation, which she won.
    I wrote it because she is a liar and wanted my neighbours to know. The court stuff is done now but as a result of her lies and her winning, I sent out the letter.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Yes, she won, and can easily win again. You committed defamation of character by calling her a liar on paper. Don't be surprised if she takes you back to court. Now she has a piece of paper to prove that you are harassing her. It is no longer word of mouth.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
    You aren't getting it. Ok, according to what you have said, she filed some sort of compaint against you for calling her an obsese ebony female canine. For some odd reason, the local prosecutor took this before a jury and you were convicted and your appeal was denied. Ok so now that's over. But because you were convicted, in the eyes of the law she told the truth and you lied.

Now you call her a liar IN writing. You have defamed her character yet again, only this time you have no defense because its in writing. You also have no defense because you have no proof she lied.

So, she has that letter, she takes it back to the prosecutor and he files new charges against you or she sues you. Either way you committed libel and could be back in court over it.

Aug 21, 2007, 12:03 PM
    There was no jury, but yes they found me guity first time, I appealed and again lost.

Thank you all for all your advice and have now clearly done an unlawful thing. I am very worried. But I was angry!

Aug 21, 2007, 12:18 PM
    I would still like to know EXACTLY what you were found guilty of. Did you get some sort of document stating what you were convicted of?

But yes, you have now, gone from the frying pan into the fire. You are basically at her mercy if she decides to pursue charges against you.

Aug 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I found found guilty of racial abuse.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 01:46 PM
    And you have now found yourself possibly heading back to court for libel and possibly defamation of character. It could cause you more damage than the racial abuse.

I guess you have learned to never do anything out of anger.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 01:48 PM
    All I have to say after 3 pages is:

God Bless America where we can call our neighbor a stupid cow and not get hauled before the magistrate.

Aug 21, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Apparently you were tried and convicted under the following acts:

Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (c. 40)

Crime and Disorder Act 1998 (c. 37)

See
    Harassment and Racial Abuse; The Law

For a summary.

But Emland is right this would never happen in the US. Simply calling someone names would never be the prosecuted criminally. One might lose their job (see Imus), but criminal prosecution?? That's insanity.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Yes, I called a few neighbors red neck hicks, but found out I guess down here that is a compliment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harassment /slander [ 1 Answers ]

I had a magazine write a story from my estranged husband, which was all lies, and I'm in court matters with ref him divorce/ injunctions and they gave all my details out in the magazine wher I lived my name pictures! They did not get in contact with myself1 to get my side of anything I feel I'm in...

Criticism vs slander [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between legitimate criticism and slander?

Can I sue for slander? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings... I am a small business owner who has been slammed by a TV news "jourlanlist" and it is VERY bad. He made comments and statements that are not only inaccurate, but downright LIES! Do I have ANY hope of sueing for any damages at all? Please help, this could ruin my business! Thank...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

Does anyone know if this is this slander? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress. ...

View more questions Search