Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    youknowhow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 07:14 AM
    How to remove green stains out of roof?
    Does anyone know as how to remove green stains out of roof? I've heard power wash could damage the roof and chemicals are much better. Any positive experience with particular chemicals? I appreciate for sharing it here. Thank you in advance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Why do you want to remove the green stains. These could possibly be algae caused from overhanging trees. I have that as well on one part of my roof and really wouldn't think of trying to get rid of it, although my roof will be done in just a month or two, so it doesn't concern me.

However, using chemicals to remove this stain is not a good idea as it would probably have some serious side effects running off the roof when you apply it. As for power washing, yes, that could do some damage but only if the pressure is extremely high such as an industrial power washer might project. There are power washers available for rental that are used for cleaning jobs on the exterior of homes and you could possibly look into that, but I wouldn't be surprised if your whole roof doesn't need re-doing if you have green algae already developed to the point where you can see it, IMO.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 21, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Algea and/moss is nature's way of telling you the air is healthy enough to breathe.. they don't survive when the air is full of gases and other stuff that can harm - so be glad the air is healthy for you as well.

Chemicals are not a good idea, try a biodegradeable cleanser like quick & brite.

Good luck and good health

youknowhow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Alas! The insurance company thinks different: all destroying factors should be removed from the roof.
    Also I see from Wikipedia:
    Algae (singular alga) are groups of relatively simple living aquatic organisms that capture light energy through photosynthesis, using it to convert inorganic substances into organic matter.

Converting inorganic substances (roof) into anything else means destroying. I want to keep the roof longer, so I think all plants should be removed. How? That's what I am trying to figure out.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 21, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by youknowhow
    Alas! The insurance company thinks different: all destroying factors should be removed from the roof.
    Also I see from Wikipedia:
    Algae (singular alga) are groups of relatively simple living aquatic organisms that capture light energy through photosynthesis, using it to convert inorganic substances into organic matter.

Converting inorganic substances (roof) into anything else means destroying. I want to keep the roof longer, so I think all plants should be removed. How? That's what I am trying to figure out.
    I think it is a type of moss, not algea. Nevertheless, if you need something safe to get rid of it, check this site out. I've used this for over 30 years and I know what it can do. This is not an advertisement and I get nothing for it. I just like it and use it myself.

Quick'n Brite | Commercial Uses
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Definitely do not use a power washer, it will tear up the shingles and break the seals. Most big home center sell a product made specifically for removing moss from a roof. Do not buy any things else. The products I have bought at Home Depot do not harm plants so be careful to read the label and follow the instructions. Moss will definitely shorten the life of your roof so you are correct in trying to remove it. You may also consider install a strip of zinc along your ridge line. Rain water on the zinc will cause the shingles to be less inviting to future moss growth, usually prevents new growth completely.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 21, 2007, 05:07 PM
    The pressure washer... thats great id love to see that, but not on my house. I've never used zinc, but ballengerb1 seems to have a vast knowledge of just things I don't know, lol
    When I've had to clean it I've watered down chorox bleach, and used a bug sprayer, I've let it set for 10min no more and spray it off with a water hose. If its hot I don't let it set that long
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Aug 21, 2007, 05:46 PM
    I would recommend contacting a professional service that specializes in addressing your problem/concern. You can probably get the answers to what exactly is causing the stain and advice for properly treating the condition (most likely at no cost). You may find that it's more cost-effective to use them to deal with the situation, than if you were to do it yourself. I would imagine that whatever solution is used... the primary concern will be to avoid damage to the roofing material (and the integrity of the roof itself) as well as any impact on the environment... it's even possible that some effects to the environment (not just in your yard) may not be evident immediately, but will cause problems later.

Please be careful when/if you choose to use chemicals that are not normally used for that purpose.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove mildew stains on teak furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if this question should go in the furniture section but since this pertains to outdoor furniture, I hope it's okay here. After storing our teak furniture outdoors (under a cover) over the winter, we were horrified to find yesterday that there were mildew stains all over our table and...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Easiest effective way to remove stains? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I have some staining on my teeth. I would like to do the least amount of work to get rid of them. I would also like to not use something unhealthful if possible. Something I can buy over the counter. Rembrandt? Crest strips? Other? What really works and what is the easiest?

Remove mortar stains [ 5 Answers ]

What's the best method for removing mortar stains from faux rockwork? The mortar is about a week old and there is a residue that covers the rock and prevents it from matching the surrounding rockwork surfaces.

How To Remove A Vent Stack From Roof [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I am in the process of remodeling a kitchen and We have decided to convert a full wall to a half wall/bar top in front of the kitchen sink. This means there will be no wall through which the drain vent can run. I plan on using an auto-vent for venting but that still leaves the PVC...

View more questions Search