Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bleukywy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Laptop will not power up at all!
    I have a dell laptop computer 9400 and it will not power up. I tried to push the power button but it won't do anything at all. What could be the problem? I charged it up and still nothing. There is a little icon under the moniter the looks like a battery with a lighting bolt through it. Can someone help me?:mad:
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 21, 2007, 07:32 AM
    The lightning bolt icon means that the battery is charging/connected to an outlet. Is this a brand new computer? Have you used it before? Have you tried turning the computer on with the battery taken out, and computer plugged into the outlet?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Have you called Dell? If that icon is lit, then its probable the power button is broken. If the icon is not lit, then its not getting any power.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 21, 2007, 07:40 AM
    My sony vaio stopped one day in the summer - result was overheating. Take it to the dealer and try extra fan pads if you live in a hot climate.

Good luck.

bleukywy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bleukywy
    I have a dell laptop computer 9400 and it will not power up. I tried to push the power button but it won't do anything at all. What could be the problem? I charged it up and still nothing. There is a little icon under the moniter the looks like a battery with a lighting bolt through it. Can someone help me?:mad:
    I did not call Dell. The computer is about 2 years old. It was given to me as a gift. When I push the power button, it will light up for a split second and turn back off. The icon was lit up (battery with the lighting bolt through it) but is not on anymore. So does that mean the button does not work. And I did try it without the battery. I need more help!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Sounds like it has died. Needs a tech to look at it.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 21, 2007, 12:33 PM
    This: Documentation will tell you chat the battery light means. Can you tell us what it's doing? Flashing? Solid? Green? Orange? What about when it's plugged in to the wall, or when it's not? Sounds like a power issue to me, possibly the power connector inside is broken. That happens quite a lot, and isn't too hard to fix if you can get the case open, and know how to use a soldering iron.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Laptop Power [ 3 Answers ]

I've been having a lot of problems with my laptop lately, I kept getting the well known "blue screen of death" as many call it. Finally I decided to format, and re-install windows. I got everything re-installed, started doing the auto updates, and once again... the blue screen, this time, it did...

Laptop power management [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I am fairly new to PCs. My laptop internal battery (without main connected) lasts for only 30 minutes or less on full charge. Laptop is less than two yrs old, don't know if I need to do some settings to enable the battery work longer after full charge? Can anybody help? Thanks. LinBus

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search