Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepiman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2005, 02:03 AM
    Venting Thanks
    Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site!
    I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me.

1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet shower.

2 w/in 3.5' for 1.5"pipe / 5' for 2"pipe.

3 a 2" vent will gennerally suffice for a bathroom group.

4 if joining multiple bathroom groups / should increase vent size

5 I have a large master bath with Jaccuzzi, shower, toilet, two sinks. Jacc is 8ft away from anything, so it should get it's own vent. Shower is 5ft from middle sink, so if I use 2"pipe and vent the middle sink immediately, I should be able to run the other sink and the shower into the vented middle sink waste line, then run them all to the 3" line from the toilet, which also needs vented prior to that entrance, giving me three vents total for this bathroom. But I can connect them all together to take them out.

6 #5 is called a wet vent

7 I have 3.5 bathrooms plus kitchen. I should be able to vent them all into a 3" stack and terminate it through a wall with a screen as long as it is at least 5ft from a window.

8 I have a small bathroom with all three fixtures draining near 5ft from each other. If I run the tub and lav together then a vent before the toilet and its drain, I should be OK with only the one vent.

If it seems I am confused on an issue, please let me know asap, thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 27, 2005, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thepiman
    Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site!
    I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me.

1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet shower.

2 w/in 3.5' for 1.5"pipe / 5' for 2"pipe.

3 a 2" vent will gennerally suffice for a bathroom group.

4 if joining multiple bathroom groups / should increase vent size

5 I have a large master bath with Jaccuzzi, shower, toilet, two sinks. Jacc is 8ft away from anything, so it should get it's own vent. Shower is 5ft from middle sink, so if I use 2"pipe and vent the middle sink immediately, i should be able to run the other sink and the shower into the vented middle sink waste line, then run them all to the 3" line from the toilet, which also needs vented prior to that entrance, giving me three vents total for this bathroom. But I can connect them all together to take them out.

6 #5 is called a wet vent

7 I have 3.5 bathrooms plus kitchen. I should be able to vent them all into a 3" stack and terminate it through a wall with a screen as long as it is at least 5ft from a window.

8 I have a small bathroom with all three fixtures draining near 5ft from each other. If I run the tub and lav together then a vent before the toilet and its drain, i should be ok with only the one vent.

If it seems i am confused on an issue, please let me know asap, thanks

1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet shower. (False) Every fixture w/trap needs vented, no exceptions except floordrains.

2 w/in 3.5' for 1.5"pipe / 5' for 2"pipe. (True) From trap to vent

3 a 2" vent will gennerally suffice for a bathroom group. (True)

4 if joining multiple bathroom groups / should increase vent size (False) Back to back bathroom groups may share a common 2" vent

5 I have a large master bath with Jaccuzzi, shower, toilet, two sinks. Jacc is 8ft away from anything, so it should get it's own vent. Shower is 5ft from middle sink, so if I use 2"pipe and vent the middle sink immediately, i should be able to run the other sink and the shower into the vented middle sink waste line, then run them all to the 3" line from the toilet, which also needs vented prior to that entrance, giving me three vents total for this bathroom. (false) If configured correctly one vent will suffice for the entire group.
    But I can connect them all together to take them out. (true) This is called reventing.

6 #5 is called a wet vent (True) The fixtures that are not "individually vented" are "wet vented" by the one that is.

7 I have 3.5 bathrooms plus kitchen. I should be able to vent them all into a 3" stack ( True) This is called reventing into the main vent. Chapt. 14 Sec.1403.1 of The Standard Plumbing Code.
    I may terminate it through a wall with a screen as long as it is at least 5ft from a window. (FAlse) The main vent,(vent stack) shall terminate independently above the roof of the building or be connected to the soil stack,( stack vent) at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture. Chapt. 14 Sec.1403.2

8 I have a small bathroom with all three fixtures draining near 5ft from each other. If I run the tub and lav together then a vent before the toilet and its drain, I should be OK with only the one vent. (True)
    thepiman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2005, 08:11 AM
    Thank you, and esp for fast response.
    What grade of pipe must I use, or do you recommend for venting? Can it be cheaper?

#4 I meant to refer to my situation particularly. What size should I use for reventing. 3.5baths, plus kit, laundry?

#5 It is 8ft from Jaccuzzi to sink and 5 more feet to shower one more foot to toilet. In #2 you agreed that I need a vent w/in 5' of trap. Are you saying I should bump my traps over from the jacc and or the shower to be 10ft apart w/vent in the middle?

#7 Can you explain to a novice a little better what Chapt. 14 Sec. 1403.2 means when it says "or be connected to soil stack"? In other words is there any way I can not go through the roof to vent? I thought I read a thread where they were venting through the wall.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 27, 2005, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thepiman
    Thank you, and esp for fast response.
    What grade of pipe must I use, or do you recommend for venting? Can it be cheaper?

#4 I meant to refer to my situation particularly. What size should I use for reventing. 3.5baths, plus kit, laundry?

#5 It is 8ft from Jaccuzzi to sink and 5 more feet to shower one more foot to toilet. In #2 you aggreed that I need a vent w/in 5' of trap. are you saying I should bump my traps over from the jacc and or the shower to be 10ft apart w/vent in the middle?

#7 Can you explain to a novice a little better what Chapt. 14 Sec. 1403.2 means when it says "or be connected to soil stack"? In other words is there any way I can not go through the roof to vent? I thought I read a thread where they were venting through the wall.

You used the word "MUST" Let get a few terms straight. In code language, the words "must" and "shall" mean the same thing. NO EXCEPTIONS! The word "may" gives you a choice.
    You may use any pipe material that you wish, however the easiest to work with is Schedule 40 PVC. For all drainage and venting.

To answer that I would need to see a plan of your house, but generally speaking you must have one 3" main vent located somewhere in the system. The rest of the vents may be 2" and revent back to the main vent in the attic.

#5 It is 8ft from Jaccuzzi to sink and 5 more feet to shower one more foot to toilet. In #2 you agreed that I need a vent w/in 5' of trap. Are you saying I should bump my traps over from the jacc and or the shower to be 10ft apart w/vent in the middle?
    You're asking me to lay out your bathrooms drainage without a set of plans or the first set of measurements. What I am saying is that If configured correctly one vent will suffice for the entire group.

You asked, "7 I have 3.5 bathrooms plus kitchen. I should be able to vent them all into a 3" stack ( True) This is called reventing into the main vent. Chapt. 14 Sec.1403.1 of The Standard Plumbing Code.
    I may terminate it through a wall with a screen as long as it is at least 5ft from a window. (FAlse) The main vent,(vent stack) shall terminate independently above the roof of the building or be connected to the soil stack,( stack vent) at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture. Chapt. 14 Sec.1403.2.

All 1403.2 means is that it's allowable to revent back to a vent stack but you must do it at least 6" over the flood rim of the highest fixture.

In other words is there any way I can not go through the roof to vent? (No there isn't)

I thought I read a thread where they were venting through the wall.
    Not with the main vent as you wished to do and then with lesser vents only with the express permission of the plumbing official and with certain restrictions. Sec. 1404.4 and 5.
    Deloris S Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 11:15 PM
    We live in an area that isn't controlled by codes and do not have to be inspected. So would it be OK to put the vent through the wall and not the roof?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2005, 06:36 AM
    Hi Deloris,

You've failed to specifie what vent you wish to run through the wall. The main vent, 3" or more, must terminate through the roof. A local vent may terminate through a wall providing, it's a least 10-feet horizontally from any lot line, turned upward and screened, not terminate under a overhang of a building, or terminate within 10-feet horizontally of any, door, window, or any ventilation opening of the building unless it's at least 2-feet above the top of such opening. This is not only code, it's also good plumbing practice.

Good luck, Tom
    Deloris S Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2005, 05:13 PM
    Thanks for the info. Any suggestions about main stack going through a metal roof? I don't want it to leak and we aren't sure yet how to prevent this.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2005, 06:22 AM
    Hi Deloris,

As for flashing the main stack that will exit through a metal roof use a metal flashing and coat the underside with roof cement and then run a solder joint around the edges. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New dryer venting [ 5 Answers ]

Well my wife didn't shed a tear when our dryer went caput. Meant she could finally get the front loading whirlpool he washer dryer combo shed wanted for a few years. Yesterday they were delivered. Our old dryer was connected by a flexible, expandable connection that runs to the heavy metal...

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

How many fixtures can be tapped into the main vent? I have a 2" main vent.

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Tub Venting? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm rebuilding a 1920's bathroom from the floor joist and studs, the question I have is the 1 1/2" Tub Over Flow ties into the trap which then ties into a 3" stack with a 3x3x1-1/2" Sanitary Tee. Do I need to install a vent in for the tub if the trap is 12" away from the stack? ...

Basement Venting [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved into a year old home that has an unfinished basement. There are rough-ins for a toilet, shower and sink already in place. My questions is what venting needs to be added for these rough-ins or are these vented through the existing plumbing already (or how can I tell)?

View more questions Search