Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ByStarlight Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
    First time buyers, credit issues. Married Vs. Single?
    My boyfriend and I would like to buy a house. It doesn't have to be very big, we just want a cute little place to raise our daughter (who is due on Aug 25 =) ) We checked our credit reports, his is almost non-existant, he has one account in good standing and nothing else. I on the other hand, have not-so-great credit, with a score of 591. I had some medical bills that went to collections and have since been paid off, but have left key derogatory marks in the mean time. We want to be realistic about this, and not jump into a bad or not-so-great deal. Our lease is up in May 2008 and we would like to buy around that time, IF it is right for us. We are planning on getting married sometime next year, would it be more beneficial for us to be married BEFORE we attempt to buy, or does it not matter? Also, what steps can I take to repair my credit, and what can he do to help build his? We are trying to go about this as smart and rationally as possible, but honestly we don't know much about it. ANY advice would be helpful, thank you.
    gabra_123 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Aug 30, 2007, 12:39 AM
    As long as you are already planning on getting married, it does cut down on afew last name issues. Also depending on where you live and your ages it can reduce your car insurance. The only way for your BF to get any credit rating is to jump right in. make sure any bills are, if possible, in both names and apply for the home loan together. He may not have any credit rating but he has an income I assume, you will just be registered as the primary. Phone up any companies that you had any bills sent to collections with, and request a letter stating that the bill has been paid, the acount cancelled, the delinquent payment forgiven...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Title (Single or Married) [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying my 1st home. I am married but have been sperated for about 1yr. I applied for the loan by myself and I am getting ready to close. My question is if there will be a problem by me signing the title on my own for now. Or what can I do to add another person on also.

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

Filed Single but married [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I got married on Dec 28th 2006 in india, after coming back to US I filed my taxes as single as I didn't knew much about the filing status. I found out from friends that an amendment can be filed to change status from single married. I need help from u guys for below questions. 1) How...

What is My Filing Status? Married or Single? [ 5 Answers ]

Can somebody Advice Here's my scenario: I went to India in December 2006 and got married but my wife came to US only on January 12, 2007. What status should I file for the year 2006? Single (or) Married filing joint (even if only one had income) (or) Married filing separately (or) Head...

Single or married [ 1 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, Both my girlfriend and I get a job in US. I hold H1-B visa, and she holds J1 visa. Both of our annual income will be about $35000. How much tax should we pay if we stay single or get married. Thank you very much! Regards, Chipeng

View more questions Search