Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mindhntr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Hipaa law
    I have a 2 part question regarding Hipaa law. First, let me give you the necessary background information. My husband and I are separated (not legally) and we reside in California. We are both in law enforcement, my husband being a supervisor and me being line staff. My husband is in charge of dealing with employees regarding work related injuries.

I have a back injury and have been dealing with chronic pain, which has lead to depression. My husband moved out for that reason. I went to work to pick up my paycheck and found my husband's door closed. I had wanted to talk with him, so I listened at the door to see if he was in fact in his office or not (you can't see the lights under the door). I overheard my husband talking about my depression, the medications I was taking, etc.

First, is this a violation of Hipaa law, and second, who can I report this to, as he has apparently been discussing my depression and medications with quite a few people?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 09:23 PM
    It's not a HIPAA violation. Your ex is not a healthcare provider, and can tell people whatever he wants about you. Since he's apparently telling the truth, you can't get him for slander, either.

It's slightly murky, since he does deal with employee-related health matters, but he can probably argue that he is acting on information he acquired as your spouse, and HIPAA just doesn't cover that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Law Violated [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that a coworker violated my civil rights at work. I was out a day at work due to an illness, and my friend at work noticed another medical worker get upset as to why I was out, she then punched up my name in our office computer (I work in a family practice), she looked...

Hipaa law attorney [ 3 Answers ]

I was woundering if anyone know a name of an attorney in Michigan who can help me out with a Hippa law violation. My medical info was sent to my job, heard from many health professionals that my hipaa rights were violated, thanks jen

HIPAA Law Regarding Former Employer Releasing Information [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently unemployed. I approached a staffing company which asked me for two supervisory references, which I provided. Upon contacting my former employer to check the references the staffing company told me my ex-supervisor was reluctant to talk to him citing a company policy against giving...

Hipaa law in health clinics [ 4 Answers ]

Question : is receiving chemotherapy treatment in a large open room with other patients present impinging on my hipaa rights?

Hipaa law [ 11 Answers ]

Can a pharmacy give out info on you to law inforcement without you being notified?

View more questions Search