Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Aug 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
    A Monks life
    What is a Monks life like?
    What is their daily routine? Is it true they can only spesk at certaain times?
    Any insite on a Monks life appreaciated
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Not all monks follow the same routine. Not all monks are cloistered in a monastery. Some are very active in their respective communities as teachers, workers, helpers, etc. Here is some reading:
    Ttp://www.associatedcontent.com/article/196788/a_day_in_the_life_of_a_benedictine.html
    St. Procopius Abbey: Being a Monk Today
    Mepkin Abbey (Becoming A Monk)
    How to Become a Monk or a Nun
    Inspirations and Creative Thoughts: Questions on becoming Monk

There is a great deal of information out there. Check your local library.

Aug 20, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Thanks shy. Do you know if is there different monks
    For different religions or beliefs?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Yes, a monk does not have to be a Catholic. There are Buddhists, those from India and other faiths.

Look at the following:
    Who we are
    Dialogue among believers of different faiths
    BBC Radio 4 | Planet Earth Under Threat | Monks are getting so Cool

If you are nearby a monastery of any faith, you might want to visit there, but you will need to gain permission before making any further plans. From the monks I have encountered (granted they were only of the Catholic faith), they were very open to discussion and knowledgeable. Especially if you get to meet their librarian or historian.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 07:50 PM
    And in Christianity there are Catholic, Orthodox, even Anglican or Episcolpal monks, and of course many many in other non christian faiths.

But even within the Catholic Church there are so many orders, and each order with have its own rules of the order. Very few don't speak,
    Many work outside the monastary in hospitals, as doctors, they may also do various jobs within their order to support the order. Some monks may live in small grouops in houses or some live alone in very meger living arrangements. I have a few in our order that live very private lives of prayer and meditation.

Aug 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Thanks again both of you. I am asking because my Nephew says he is going to become a Monk for Krishna.
    I and my family are new to this religion or belief and we are and have been concerned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

I am going to be alone all of my life! [ 3 Answers ]

I seem to have been alone for ever. I haven't had a girlfriend in years with one acception last month I went out with this girl for a week treated her really well and within a week I got dumped last night she was throwing herself at my friend and making a right whore out of herself in the process I...

My life [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me if you see any major changes coming my way In my love life

Life [ 6 Answers ]

Hi just to start by saying I haven't been on here for a while which is also due to me moving etc because I had to :mad: and at the moment I actually hate life. I feel really depressed and have cut myself off from my friends. Even some really close friends I can't speak too and they try and help...

Now all I think about is a life with her [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post.

View more questions Search