Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tylers mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
    K-SEALS and VMI testing for early entrance to kindergarten
    Hello everyone,
    My 4 year old son turns 5 on October 7, 2007. The cut off for automatic admission into Northwest Local School district in Cincinnati, Ohio is August 31, so he misses the cut off by 1 week. The district has put him through a series of "early entrance tests" to see if he "is ready". My son has also attended 2 years of preschool already. They gave him what is called the K-SEALS test, my son scored in the 95th percentile, the district wanted 98th percentile. This test has word recognition, addition/subtraction, abstract thinking etc. The second test is called the VMI - visual motor integration - , my son scored an above average, the district wanted an average. Does anyone know what the normal expected score on the K-SEALS is? They won't allow my son to enter kindergarten this year because of his 95% score was not good enough. They also told me that less than 1% of all children actually get accepted early into kindergarten in this district. Any advice for us? He is so disappointed that he cannot "go to the big school". He is not going to be challenged enough in preschool for a third year. I work with him everday at home as it is because he enjoys learning new things. It seems like such a waste not to let a child into school that truly wants to learn and is ready for it. Does anyone know if I can home school him this year, so he'll be able to start 1st grade next year?
    Thanks for any advice you can offer!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
    There is more that a week between August 31 and Oct 7. Don't rush him. He will be better off being the oldest in the class rather than the youngest. Their maturity level is also very important.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public kindergarten vs. Homeschool kindergarten [ 24 Answers ]

I am a concerned grandma. My son & daughter-in-law are going to homeschool my grandson for kindergarten and then send him to public first grade next year when his sister will go to public kindergarten. He will be 6 the end of December. He is very bright and the actual learning part of...

Using double wax seals [ 1 Answers ]

I am setting a toilet on a tile floor. In the past I have used two wax seals, one with the flange and one without. The standard size does not seem to seal to the toilet base. How high should the wax extend above the floor and can I use two seals with the flange?

View more questions Search