Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1latania Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
    New Dog
    I just recently become the owner of a 6 week old shih-tzu. The problem is that I don't want to leave it home all day by itself because it is so young. On Mon,Tues,Fri. I will leave at 7:30-5:00 and on Wed and Thu I won't return until 9:00 due to school. But I think I can get a sitter for those 2 days. I will have the puppy in a kennel,but I will still worry about it at work. Am I just stressing out about something that's not a big deal or does someone have any suggestions.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:43 PM
    I hate to see any dog, let along a puppy barely old enough to be away from its mother, left more than 4-5 hours. The sitter the 2 days is a good idea. Could the same person give it a mid day break every day? It still needs a third meal for another 7 weeks.

Please go to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 and read what I have to share from my experience.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Labman is right that is such along time to leave a puppy alone. Have you checked into doggy daycare? It is not to expensive where I live around 10 dollars per day. If trhat is to hard on your budget, They may even work a 1/2 day deal with you and you could pick your dog up at lunch time esp. if it is going to be there everyday. I would take my dog in with me. Try and talk to someone in person and see if you can strike up a deal.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Don't take your 6 week old anywhere around strange dogs. I often suggest a doggy day care for older dogs, but unless they can isolate a young puppy from the other dogs, too much of a chance of catching a disease. Shots leave a window where the puppy isn't protected. See Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Your right Labman I did not even give that thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search