Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s0n1a Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Are ultrasounds accurate in dating pregnancy
    I am confused with ultrasounds. My 1st US said I was 4wks 5d pregnant,and my second one
    Which was 6 days later said I was 6wks 2 days, and my third US said I was 6 weeks 1 day,
    The Heart rate was at 156 beats per minute so it was great. But I Got a scare, that the
    Baby is not growing right. I strongly feel that I am 6 1/2 weeks pregnant now. And that
    The 2nd US was Incorrect. Has anyone experienced this this early in a pregnancy. I
    Am terrified that the baby didn't grow. But I was given good hopes because the heart rate
    Is so great.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Typically the most accurate time to date the baby is around 18-20 weeks. All babies grow at different rates this early, depending on implantation. It is really hard to date this early, most doctors will go by the LMP until the 18 week u/s.. What does your doctor say? Why are they doing so many ultrasounds?
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Aug 20, 2007, 10:48 AM
    I had a couple of ultrasounds during my first trimester and they were all different by a week to a few days.
    Like alka said the best time to find out for sure is in the 18 to 20 week ultrasound then they can measure the baby.

Aug 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
    The reason for so many ultrasounds is because I am a high risk patient. I have had 2
    Chemical pregnancies, 1 blighted ovum, 1 ectopic pregnancy 3 months ago, Plus on top
    Of all that I have to take pregesterone when I get pregnant. I do have a 3 year old and
    A 5 year old, but with all my problems I just worry so much.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
    That's why they usually wait until the 18-20 week ultrasound to give an accurate date. To be honest I have never heard of anyone having an ultrasound at 4 weeks unless it was an 'at risk' pregnancy or if a private clinic was used.
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Aug 20, 2007, 10:51 AM
    I had a couple for bleeding in the first 6 to 8 weeks then a new one they are doing now is at 13 weeks to test for down syndrome.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 10:52 AM
    OK... that makes sense... I just don't typically hear about them within weeks of each other... They can't really measure the little arms and legs at this point because they are still little buds, and the head is not yet proprtionate, that is why you are getting strange dates. At you 18-20 week u/s you will get probably the most accurate date they will be able to tell you. Good luck to you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
    At this point in time, due to your risk level, they are most likely making sure that the fetus is still viable. The most accurate measurement, as stated above, is around the 18 - 20 week mark.

So, as long at it is still viable at this point in time, I would not be too concerned about the size.

Aug 20, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Thank you girls for your help, have a nice day, love Sonya
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
    But I'm a guy! :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    But I'm a guy! :)
    LOL! Everyone always thinks you are a girl... maybe you just know and understand us so well. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Well, I have been talking to them for over 20 years. And I was part of both our children's pregnancies and birth from the get-go.
    renatta_28 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 08:18 PM
    18- 20 weeks they can measure the baby
    Simplysweet610 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
    I got my period on dec52011 and I had sex on the 9 my period ended later that night.. I later on the16-19 had sex and my boyfriend ejulated in me through out that weekend. On feb 23 I went to get a ultrasound and tey said the baby measured at 9weeks and4 days and I'm due sept 10. I had another ultra sound April 6 and they said I was 16 weeks and still had the same due date.. When do you think I conceived?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We're dating, but he posted on a dating site! [ 11 Answers ]

We've only been dating for about a month or so. The first couple of weeks, he called me every day, sometimes twice a day. Then it was less frequent. I assumed he didn't have the guts to break it off, so I stopped calling him and he wouldn't call me for a few days, but he always called. Said...

Dating [ 3 Answers ]

What is the first and last name of the woman that I am supposed to spend the rest of my life with?

How acurate are ultrasounds in sex prediction? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 weeks pregnant, I went yesterday for an ultrasound, which I found out that my baby is a boy, and I was wondering if anyone knows how accurate that really is? I asked the tech how often she is right, and she said that she doesn't know. Anyone have an idea how accurate this is?

From dating to friends to dating? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I met this guy about 9 months ago. After only going out a couple of times we started dating. It only lasted for about a month and he ended it saying he didn't think we had enough in common. Since then we have become best friends and spend a lot of time together. But we are...

View more questions Search