Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpjay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Verizon DSL, Linksys router connection issues
    Hi, I am having internet connection problems. I have a Verizon DSL connection with a Westell Wirespeed modem connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Two computers are connected to the router, one running XP the other Mac OSX. I have had this network running for sometime, but just lost the connection. When I plug the modem direct to the PC, no problems, I can connect. When I try to run through thte router it says can't find server. Verizon says it is a Linksys problem and will not help. Linksys says Verizon problem, but will help if I pay for a premium tech support package. I am starting to go crazy so if you can help I would love it. Thank you
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 20, 2007, 07:29 AM
    This sounds like a router issue, since you can connect to the internet through the modem. Have you tried powering down the modem and the router? Then letting the modem power up before powering the router up? This was a common problem with my linksys router. Every time the power went out, I had to cycle through them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2007, 07:52 AM
    If you can connect directly it sounds like it is the router. I'm surprised that Linksys won't help, they have been helpful when I have needed them.

Resetting the router may help.

Aug 20, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mpjay
    Hi, I am having internet connection problems. I have a Verizon DSL connection with a Westell Wirespeed modem connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Two computers are connected to the router, one running XP the other Mac OSX. I have had this network running for sometime, but just lost the connection. When I plug the modem direct to the PC, no problems, I can connect. When I try to run through thte router it says can't find server. Verizon says it is a Linksys problem and will not help. Linksys says Verizon problem, but will help if I pay for a premium tech support package. I am starting to go crazy so if you can help I would love it. Thank you
    I have tried several times to reset the router as well as power down to cycle them. It is very strange, when I connect through the router I get a LAN connection but it will not allow me to open a browser or get online. All works fine direct to the modem.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 20, 2007, 08:25 AM
    It may help to clone the mac address of your PC to the mac address of your router. Most linksys routers that I've worked with allow this. Your manual should be able to help you with this.

Also, where do you log in to your DSP connection? Do you know if the modem logs in for you, or if the router does it, or do you have a Connection box pop up when you try to get on the internet?

Aug 20, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I think that the router logs in for me. I will check out the manual to help clone the address. My knowledge is limited at best. Thanks

Aug 20, 2007, 10:35 AM
    If that doesn't work, I think what I would do next is probably reset the router to it's factory configuration. Usually there is an option to do this on the configuration page, or you can hold down the little reset button with a pen or paperclip for about 15 seconds. This will reset all your settings, though, so if it's a wireless router, you'll want to set up security on it again after it's been reset.
    nicegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Please check the lights that you have on the router. Is the power light blinking or solid?
    zakiekhan143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Hi, I am having internet connection problems. I have a Verizon DSL connection with a Westell Wirespeed modem connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Two computers are connected to the router, one running XP the other Mac OSX. I have had this network running for sometime, but just lost the connection. When I plug the modem direct to the PC, no problems, I can connect. When I try to run through thte router it says can't find server. Verizon says it is a Linksys problem and will not help. Linksys says Verizon problem, but will help if I pay for a premium tech support package. I am starting to go crazy so if you can help I would love it. Thank you.

Hi,
    I have been an employe of verizon for a year I have come across these kind of problems and the solution for this problem as far as I think is to reset the modem.there will be a small button behind the modem just press and hold it for 20 sec till the lights in the modem goes from green to red.then unplug all the cables of the computer,router and modem and wait for 10 sec and then connect modem directly to the computer back and switch everything on.now when your computer is up open the internet explorer and type 192.196.1.1 this will take you to the GUI of the modem and there go in the network tab and put the modem on the bridge mode now after putting the modem on the bridge mode connect the modem to the router and restart everything now when your computer is up open the internet explorer and type 192.168.1.1 this will take you to the GUI of the router.now check the light status on the modem and the router.in the modem the internet light should be off and in the router the power light and the dsl light and the internet light should be solid green.Light Status Possible troubleshooting solution
    Power Green The modem power is on. Look at the other lights to troubleshoot connectivity issues.
    Off Modem power off. Turn the modem on and try to re-connect.
    Ready Slow flashing green The modem is turned on and is attempting to connect.
    Fast flashing green The modem is turned on, is attempting to connect, and is downloading any needed information.
    Green The connection between the modem and HiTel is established.
    Flashing green/red A communication failure.
    Red Modem test failed.
    Flashing red The modem failed the power-up test. Power cycle the modem and try to re-connect.
    Off Modem power off. After checking the power supply, see above.
    Ethernet Green The modem and EasyStreet are connected, and the data is transmitting at a normal rate.
    Off No link between modem and computer. Check your Ethernet cable.
    ChiGuyRy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Reflash your router with 3rd party firmware, screw Linksys since they won't help you. If your router is supported. http://www.dd-wrt.com Once you do that you void your warranty, if all else fails I would
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 09:44 AM
    I'm not surprised that Linksys won't help. Lose the Linksys router and don't buy any of their products. I'v bought two of their products (a print server and a hub) and I should have learned my lesson the first time.

Dyndns.org has blacklisted Linksys routers because of issues with Linksys. Don't buy them, ever.

Aug 23, 2007, 11:27 AM
    I hear that a lot about linksys routers recently... they always used to be so good.

I've got three of them, and only recently have I had any problem at all. My vonage router, which I've had for about a year and a half, has been resetting to default configuration about once a month for the past three months. It's not anyone hacking, unless they're decyphering my WEP key and cloning a mac address. I never see anything odd in the DHCP clients table either.

I don't know about linksys nowadays... they USED to be great.
    Montani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 10:46 AM
    Try setting your wireless router to channel 11. That gets around many kinds of interference at times.
    Montani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 10:48 AM

Try setting your wireless router to channel 11 instead of Auto.
    Sometimes that gets around interference and it is an easy thing to change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to connect D-Link router through a Linksys. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a D-Link DI-604 that I want to hookup my TiVo and XBox up to, and that router is connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4. The D-Link doesn't seem to be able to connect through the Linksys to get onto the internet. What needs to be changed to get this working?

Connecting laptaop to my DSL router [ 1 Answers ]

I have Qwest DSL with moden and wireless light is on in modem but my laptaop does connect, I show three connections with X's through them

Linksys router configuration [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought a Linksys wireless router. I have one desktop and laptop I am able to access the Internet when I hardwired my laptop / desktop to Modem. (which is what is there now). . I want to connect my laptop in "wireless" mode to the router and access internet. I tried accessing...

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

View more questions Search