Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Aug 21, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    All of what you're describing sound very much like rasing a child: they need taught right from wrong, don't put your finger in the socket...

And you can't explained why "normally" generated bodies go lunatic or psycho, or any of the other birth/growth anomalies that abound.
    Precisely. Much like raising a child.

Man was created with a defect. There is and has never been a perfect human; nor will there ever be. Only God is perfect. It's up to man to manage this defect.

XenoSapien
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 05:37 PM
    "Defect" may be too harsh.

But man is weak, we will stumble, but still try.

The cure for boredom is curiosity, there is no cure for curiosity.

Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    Only God is perfect.
    The Neanderthal was present long before our time. The slate was cleared. Now it's our time. What next?

Aug 21, 2007, 06:07 PM
    "Defect" may be too harsh.

But man is weak, we will stumble, but still try.

The cure for boredom is curiosity, there is no cure for curiosity.

Man is not perfect; hence my chosen term, 'defect'. Curiousity can be satisfied without the display of a weakness. Yet man still enacts those weaknesses. A 'defect'.

XenoSapien

Aug 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
    The Neanderthal was present long before our time. The slate was cleared. Now it's our time. What next?
    Excellent question.

XenoSapien
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 23, 2007, 01:43 PM
    I just heard on the news that within 3-10 years, artificial life will be possible.

My first thought, is that I've heard more people than not say how we're overpopulated as is. I speculate that to a degree, proof of that is that abortion is still going on.

My second thought: will this person have a soul?

XenoSapien

Crazy humans:D

They kill their unborn one one hand and on the other hand they try to create life.

"Several scientists believe man-made life forms will one day offer the potential for solving a variety of problems, from fighting diseases to locking up greenhouse gases to eating toxic waste"

Does anyone else see the irony in this?

What goes unsaid in the article

FOXNews.com - Scientists Believe Artificial Life Will Be Possible in 3 to 10 Years - Science News | Current Articles

Is that these scientists start with the basic building blocks of dna, use their intelligence and probably computer aided programs to control lab conditions just right and they still face major hurdles in forming just "protocells."
    What of tissues, organs, interelating organ systems and then a final organism.

God must be chuckling at this:)

Grace and Peace
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 02:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Crazy humans:D

They kill their unborn one one hand and on the other hand they try to create life.

"Several scientists believe man-made life forms will one day offer the potential for solving a variety of problems, from fighting diseases to locking up greenhouse gases to eating toxic waste"

Does anyone else see the irony in this?
    What goes unsaid in the article

FOXNews.com - Scientists Believe Artificial Life Will Be Possible in 3 to 10 Years - Science News | Current Articles

is that these scientists start out with the basic building blocks of dna, use their intelligence and probably computer aided programs to control lab conditions just right and they still face major hurdles in forming just "protocells."
    What of tissues, organs, interelating organ systems and then a final organism.

God must be chuckling at this:)

Grace and Peace
    I see the irony of the whole thing.
    They are not creating artificial life, but tinkering with what already exists.
    I have heard of not so nice results from such experiements, with deformed creatures.

About fighting diseases,
    Wasn't the African killer bees cross bred with the normal honey bees to create some sort of bee that was better and the experiment went wrong and now there have been an increase in the attacks of bees on humans and livestock?? (If anyone could/would correct if this a wrong information I would be grateful):)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 02:16 AM
    I wonder if God is chuckling at man's discovery of insulin or penicillin or antiseptic medical methodology? He may but a few billion people on this planet don't care, they are grateful for the lives that science has afforded them.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 02:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I wonder if God is chuckling at man's discovery of insulin or penicillin or antiseptic medical methodology? He may but a few billion people on this planet don't care, they are grateful for the lives that science has afforded them.
    The difference between trying to create new creatures/humans is a lot different from medical advances in science.
    And for those of us who believe in the Creator know that it is by His mercy that we are gaining the knowledge for such cures.

And the God chuckling bit, it may rile you or others, but I am sure it wasn't meant in a bad way.
    The Creator already knows what the results of these new artificial life experiments will yield, it is us humans who do not, hence we debate about such things:)
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Does anyone object to stem cell research, which I've heard could eventually enable medical science to reproduce a limb for someone who has been injured in an automobile accident or perhaps an innocent casualty of war?

Who will determine how far this type of research should or could go? Are we going to attempt to legislate a stopping point for learning?

As I've said before, medical science is already bringing more into the world and keeping more here longer. Those people don't object to what we're learning.

Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Does anyone object to stem cell research, which I've heard could eventually enable medical science to reproduce a limb for someone who has been injured in an automobile accident or perhaps an innocent casualty of war?

Who will determine how far this type of research should or could go? Are we going to attempt to legislate a stopping point for learning?

As I've said before, medical science is already bringing more into the world and keeping more here longer. Those people don't object to what we're learning.

I think if it is to help people in the medical field , as this limb maybe the one thing a person needs to be able to function I do not think there will be much we can say against it. Even for us muslims if a mother is in danger for her life due to her pregnancy then we are allowed to abort the baby.

My point was on trying to create a life,as I do not believe this is possible.
    I think it would be a waste of research which if we spend that money on something which is more needed for human medical needs would be a better cause for research.

I do agree with the learning part and as this is needed for the sick and diseased to heal.
    But I do not believe anyone being in this world longer than his life (which is predetermined by the Almighty), but I also believe in medication and healing and being healthy.:)

In order to know, research has to be done,but trying to create life...
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma

I think God created us in His image, and imitation is a form of flattery.
    He might look down on His creations with a bit of admiration with what we are doing with the intelligence He gave us. Remember the parable of the talents?

And

I think it is consistent with His will to use science to help others.

Grace and Peace
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Don't you all think you are sort of jumping the gun here? The article is talking about creating microscopic life which on a good day will live for a few hours in a lab. That's a far cry from fully-functioning humans with thoughts and feelings and "souls" or whatever. The article doesn't even say they are trying to create humans.

CaptainRich you bring up a great point about stem cell research - it has the potential to save millions of lives. Stem cell research could eliminate the need for organ transplant lists, which means if you need one, they pick it off the shelf and you get one. No more waiting for someone to die, or dying while waiting for someone to die. It has the potential to really change medical science in some amazing ways. As far as how far will it go and when should we stop it, I say lets get to the point where it questions morality and go from there.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 9, 2007, 05:13 PM
    I read the fox news report. It didn't talk about artificial humans, but microscopic organisms. We're still a long way from creating artificial humans such as androids or other artificial humans.

Sep 9, 2007, 06:23 PM
    The creation of humans will be the next step. I'm casting my line a bit, but that is where the concept is heading.

XenoSapien
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 03:10 AM
    The creation of humans will be the next step. I'm casting my line a bit, but that is where the concept is heading.

XenoSapien
    No it's not. It's for medical purposes, tissues and organs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creation of 0V neutral [ 4 Answers ]

When an emf is generated in the alternator both poles are simultaneously 0V or at polar opposites in varying degrees of voltage. However in the supply circuit the live is +tve or -tve in varying degrees of voltage & the neutral remains at 0V. So the question is, what happens after the...

Creation day of oracle database [ 1 Answers ]

How to find out when Oracle database was created by writing a sql? Thank you Sam

Creation science [ 13 Answers ]

I know this one's old, but I hadn't seen it in awhile... “God”, a Scientist exclaims, “we don't need you anymore. We've finally figured out how to create life out of nothing: We can now do what you did in the beginning." God’s eyebrows raise: "Oh, is that so? Tell me... " "Well, " says...

New user creation [ 3 Answers ]

How tocreate new user in xp os

View more questions Search