Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheribo Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Can you fill holes in metal door?
    I have double metal front doors. Each door had 3 big plastic type decorative squares attached to them (very 80s!). I removed the squares and planned on sanding and painting the doors. Each square has now left 12 holes in the metal door (they were attached by pegs inserted into the door). So each door now has 36 small holes in it. Is there anything I can do to fill these holes that can then be sanded and painted? Any other suggestions? I am trying to avoid having to buy a new front door!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 08:02 PM
    You should be able to find a metal filler in the local hardware store. One the small hole is filled you can use a little Bondo scratch and dent that comes in a small tube from your local hardware store, sand and wet sand. Make sure the hole is deburred before filling, otherwise that little crater will take forever to remove. Or take a look at your local boat store and see what they have. Prime and paint with a Rustoleum Laquer. You will have issues with expansion, so that's the reason to use a product designed specifically to work with metal.

Last summer I painted a screen door for the second time in many many years and it held up remarkably well. Painting is an art to avoid drips, etc. Cans of paint are expensive.

I drilled the wrong side of a case once for feet, so I just put screws that went nowhere in the top. You could put rivets in the holes. Rivets that go nowhere. You can get them in white or aluminum.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Liquid steel or liquid aluminum, let it dry and then sand. Then prime and paint. Another thing, how large are the holes?
    sheribo Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
    The holes are about 5/16"
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 04:14 AM
    Yes, the posting before I made will work, just apply and sand lightly, then prime and paint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Metal framing for a door? [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and I am using metal studs. I need to know how to frame for door. Help!

Painting outside metal door with plastic muttens [ 1 Answers ]

Both my front and side doors are metal with plastic mutton bars on the outside. Both doors are currently painted white and I want to repaint them white. I am wondering whether I should paint the plastic muttons or just the metal door. If I don't paint the plastic, it may not be the same color...

Framing a door opening with metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am adding a guest bedroom and bath to our finished basement. I purchased 2 1/2 wide studs (as they were less expensive). However I don't know how to fram the door opening with this size stud. Do I need to return the 2 1/2 and exchange or the normal size stud or is there another...

Ceramic tile finish edge next to sliding door metal frame [ 1 Answers ]

How do you finish the edge of ceramic tile next to edge of metal frame sliding door? Do you butt the edge of tile to edge strip or leave 1/4 inch gap for grout? William rossbach

View more questions Search