Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Is It Safe?
    Is it dangerous to do what I do, what some of us on here do? Are we being ignorant of the nature of depression and is it potentially dangerous for us to attempt to give advice to obviously depressed people?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 07:10 PM
    As long as the advice includes getting a physical exam and a mental evaluation I don't see that it is dangerous. Many people are going through a slump in their lives, yet others are truly depressed. We cannot in any way, shape or form properly diagnose over the internet. I think if we tell them this then we have ourselves covered.

Yes, it can be dangerous, but we have to cover all bases.

I for one, am not ignorant of the nature of depression, not only have I lived with it in one shape or form (through family members or myself), but have studied it in depth. We can only give what advice we can along with referring them to get help that we cannot give.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 07:14 PM
    I think that the majority of us on here refer people to some sort of medical/professional help. Whether it be to speak to their doctor or speak to a mental health professional.

We can only do so much. We don't always know everything that's going on. As J-9 said a lot of people come on here "depressed" meaning that they are upset about something or just experiencing a brief episode of depression.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
    I agree with both J9 and GlindaofOz.
    We have to cover our bases, yet try to get the person to a health /mental health professional.
    Some of them just need to talk to someone, those who needs this may find it easy to talk/write about their feelings to unknown/unseen people than have a person face to face.
    And this might be the only help some need.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
    We cannot ignore the depressed people and leave them unhelped!
    Those of us with experience and those of us who have useful stuff to help them and those of us who are able to encourage and help are obligated to do so, because these are lives at risk
    As long as you advise them to talk to trusted people, and to try and get help.
    Also, its good to unload as believer says, its good to have a bunch of caring people who will listen to you and tell you that you can defeat this, that you can feel happy again.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 12:06 AM
    I concur with the answers in all ways above. I agree that we need to cover all of the bases as far as giving out advice to depressed people in order to protect them as well as ourselves. The frustrating part for me, is when someone posts, who is obviously genuinely in a panic or very depressed about something, and then I may be the only one answering them. I feel obligated to stick with them if they are continuing to post responses. I have no problem in sticking with them. That is the kind of person that I am. It's just that, I may not have all of the answers for them. When that happens, then I try to alert and pull in other, experienced members of this site to the post, if they are available, who I know who would also provide sound, caring advice.

On the other hand, there are the people who have no feelings towards, not much apparent intelligence and any other possible expertise towards what a person in a elevated emotional state is posting. They can burst in on a post and possibly cause some real damage. We don't know. I think that is one of the real dangers and it would be helpful for those that are trying to respond to someone in immediate need to know how to respond and also deal with those who don't really care. I know that one of the ways to deal with posters such as that, is to alert the Administration who can help by then sending a PM to the negative poster.

I think that we are doing a good thing here. And, that is to provide some possible help for those who need it on the spot.
    buzzman Posts: 54, Reputation: 9

Aug 20, 2007, 12:26 AM
    I agree with all the others above as well. I myself have suffered with depression. I find that the internet is a great release for myself and it is up to us as individuals to test everything we hear. Especially for men. Men do not have the easiest time telling strangers inner problems face to face. You don't have to believe in everything you hear as fact.. I don't even do that with professionals.. Just because they have a title of doctor, does not make them good at what they do. I believe there are many people that many strengths that didn't maybe get the opportunity to go to school because of whatever reason. I don't think we should ever put anyone on a pedistal until we examine them for ourselves first. This goes for people that have PHds or whether they are janitors.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 20, 2007, 02:30 AM
    buzzman is right. Welcome to the sight by the way buzzman, I noticed you seem new around here, yet you already sound like an experienced member.
    The dealing with depression in my opinion needs to be taken out of the hands of those with degrees and placed into the hands of experienced people with warm hearts and good advice, whether those people have a degree, or whether they are high school dropouts.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Thanks for that. I was reading something that was criticising people with no professional experience trying to deal with depressed people and being more of a hindrance than a help. I was rather taken aback because I spout and post all sorts in an effort to help and lift people up.

I too have been dealing quite successfully all my life with depression. The stuff I post helped me enormously and I believed I was simply passing it on.

“ … dealing with depression in my opinion needs to be taken out of the hands of those with degrees and placed into the hands of experienced people with warm hearts and good advice, whether those people have a degree, or whether they are high school dropouts.” - cal823

My sentiments exactly. Thank you, my friends, for the much needed reassurance.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 05:17 AM
    They could wind up much worse places than here looking for advice, rose :)
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:10 AM
    In February of 2006 I was depressed, I lost my job the day after my 62nd birthday...

I was making over $20 an hour, now I was making $0 dollars, looked serious...

The vacation pay I got, kept me from drawing unemployment for 3 months...

I decided to look for work, and ran into THE AGE problem, need young bucks...

The biggest problem was the phone, tied up, or ringing constantly annoying...

Then my family decided to move so this created more turmoil, for me

Then I realized we had serious credit card debit - $15,000 needed help...

Credit solutions was supposed to help us -- they failed miserably -- cost $$$

My landloard of 8 years decided to give the house to his son -- we had to move

We went through a very painful move, had trouble finding a house -- hard move

I can remember when I wanted help and turned to a call in talk radio show

A cynical psycholigist tried to help, she had no clue, her life was a bed of roses

I'm now retired and trying to deal with medical problems -- no insurance

I really hope people with depression, can afford professional help

If you want to change your life -- change your mind if you can
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Capuchin, Thank you.

biggsie, thank you for sharing.
    I hope things are looking up a bit for you.
    Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it safe? [ 3 Answers ]

My washing machine overflowed all over my house. There is water damage in 5 rooms. Is it safe to stay here while the repairmen dry it out?

Is it safe [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking levothyroid because I have hyphothyroid, is it safe if I will take glutathione?

Is It Safe? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to lighten my skin not just to get lighter I have an excuse. One summer when I was in middle school I had to go to summer school and we were outside for a long period under the sun. That is when my life changed my face got pitch black dark I mean real dark but the rest of my body stayed it's...

Safe mode [ 1 Answers ]

I'm using ME 2000 and cannot get out of safe mode, even after selecting normal during the start up. How can disable the start up mode and return to normal?

View more questions Search