Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bamboo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Short sales and 1099
    My husband and I are in the process of trying to do a short sale on our home. Can you
    Tell me what can we expect from a 1099? For example we owe $600k and if sold for
    $500k what would we be liable for. We live in the state of va. Also how does this impact
    Our credit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2007, 06:31 PM
    The 1099 will be for the amount that the lender "forgives" If you owe $600K and you pay off only $500K then you will get a 1099 for $100K. You will then have to pay taxes on the "gift" of $100K.

This will have a deletorious addect on your credit, but not as bad as a foreclosure.
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Aug 20, 2007, 05:52 PM
    What the heck is "deletorious"? :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeV Sr Loan Officer
    What the heck is "deletorious"? :)
    A misspelling. I meant:

del·e·te·ri·ous
    : harmful often in a subtle or unexpected way <deleterious effects> <deleterious to health>

;)
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Aug 20, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Looks like I'll have to keep my Funk and Wagnalls handy...
    Joe Mortgage Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo1
    My husband and I are in the process of trying to do a short sale on our home. Can you
    tell me what can we expect from a 1099? For example we owe $600k and if sold for
    $500k what would we be liable for. we live in the state of va. Also how does this impact
    our credit.
    Why are you attempting to short sale? How far behind are you and what is the true appraised value of the home?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Pressure Sales with Private Sales Clubs [ 4 Answers ]

To Whom: Is it legal in the state of Rhode Island/Connecticut for a private sales club (Direct Buy) to force a prospective member to join immediately after a forced one hour sales pitch? Direct Buy instructs their prospective customers that if they don't apply for membership immediately they...

1099-g & 1099-int [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

1099-g and 1099-int [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am following this forum for last couple of months. It is a very good source of tax information. I am non-resident alien from India. I was on F1 (OPT) from Jan 06, 2005 to Nov 30, 2005. My H1B status started on Dec 01, 2005. I am filing 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. I have received...

Short-term capital gains from stock sales [ 2 Answers ]

"Short-term stock gains are taxed as ordinary income. Therefore, the nominal tax rate will be whatever tax bracket you are in. More explicitly, it will be taxed at the federal tax rate (bracket) as determined by your taxable (not gross) income line on your federal tax return." If all of my income...

View more questions Search