Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ranbyit Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 12:36 PM
    Ibm 390X 2626-LNU Boot problem
    I just bought a very nice used IBM 390X 2626LNU. The machine is perfect except for a boot problem. When you shut the computer down it will not restart until you remove all power to the laptop and then return power. It's as if some little part of the laptop refuses to shut down finishing the cylcle. All the view lamps are out except for the security lamp on the bottom of the laptop which goes off and then stays off after power is removed and returned.As long as the little lamp on the bottom of the machine is on the machine will not boot until power is removed and then returned.

Can anyone please advise me on what the laptop needs to operated correctly?

Ranbyit
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 26, 2005, 03:51 AM
    Have you tried holding the on/off switch down for 5+ seconds to see if this will turn it off?

Sep 26, 2005, 12:37 PM
    Yes, I have tried holding the master switch in until the computer gives the apperence of having been shut down, but nothing short of removeing all power from the computer will allow it to complete the shutdown, same then allowing it to reboot.

Thank you for your interest and reply to my question!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 26, 2005, 12:57 PM
    What Operating System are you running?

What are the hibernate / standby / shutdown options set to?

Take a look at this link - it's a bios update for your machine, if it looks useful, download the files and perform the upgrade. WORD OF WARNING! follow the instructions closely, updating bios incorrectly can render the system useless!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4F4MXK
    jschne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 02:40 PM
    390x restart
    This is a common problem with the 2626-LNU and I have not found a solution. As long as that unknown yellow LED is lit on the ottom of the laptop the laptop won't reboot until all power is removed. It is operating system independent... I can boot from a DOS disk and it exhibits the same symptom. No idea. Anyone?

Oct 4, 2005, 07:36 AM
    Installing the latest bios.
    Installing the latest Bios did not cure the problem for me. This particular Bios upgrade has an addiditional move (Initialization) that you must do at the end of the bios upgrade. It requires as the last step, holding in the power switch until the machine shuts down. Problem here is the machine never really shuts down after this move so one is left with only being able to remove all power from the machine in order to get it to reboot again. I could be wrong, and likely am, but think this may defeat the completed "Initialization" of the new bios upgrade. In anycase, the repair was not forth coming with the bios upgrade for me.

I have been in contact with a tech (John) who seems to be familiar with the resolution of this problem and his first advise was to update the Bios. Having done that, he suggest that replacing the DC/dc card, which involves a 75% disasembly of the laptop,and replacing it with another one, also has a good chance of fixing the problem. This will be my next effort at resolving this issue.

Follow up anyone?

Russ
    JTDavis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 07:10 AM
    Hi Russ,
    I have a 390x and have the same problem except it is intermittent (won't start 20% of the time). I updated to the latest bios and no change. I have a used dc/dc batt card and am hesitating to tear the computer apart to install a used part when several people have told me that the dc/dc batt card wouldn't cause this problem. Have you changed yours - did it fix the problem? If you haven't yet let me know and maybe I'll change mine and let you know what happens. Thanks, John

Feb 8, 2006, 12:47 PM
    To follow up, I changed the dcdc/batt card in my 390x and it starts up normally now. John
    FSalcedo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 05:52 AM
    I have an IBM 390X 2626-LOG with exactly the same problem as reported by Ranbyit for its IBM 390X 2626-LNU.
    When I got this PC (two moths ago, out of a company assets renewal) the battery was completely dead. So, it had to be plugged to AC mains when used, and it was normally unplugged after use (for it was purposeless leaving it connected). In this way, the problem was and remained unnoticed… until I have bought and installed a new battery.
    I have realised at full the symptoms of the problem with the occasion of upgrading the BIOS (that I had decided independently and prior to this problem) from ver 0.42 to ver 0.55. The instructions (downloaded from IBM’s support) called the attention to an exceptional and necessary operation to be carried out the first time you upgrade to ver 0.53 or higher (no need for subsequent upgrades). Such operation consisted precisely in, immediately after BIOS update, powering the PC off, unplugging it from the mains and retiring the battery for five seconds.
    The meaning o this manoeuvre (to ensure that the PC was completely out of power, that for some reason was necessary for the success of the involved BIOS update) made me suspect that the system could remain partially alive despite having been powered off, and I got confirmation of it at discovering the Ultra Bay’s LED (at PC bottom) lighting forever until mains and battery were both unplugged (or the second was exhausted).
    In summary: the “power off” command was not being fully executed. But this is a SW command that ends in a hardware (that is “to obey” the command)!
    Although a SW configuration issue (or trick) accounting for the problem is never to be discarded (a simple solution would be very welcome, if somebody knows!), a hardware failure seems more likely to be causing this problem.
    The successful experience of JTDavis at changing the so called “dc/dc batt card” (which fixes the problem unless in his case) makes me confident on trying the same, if I can.
    So, I would appreciate help in order to:
    - Get a “dc/dc batt card” (the appropriate one) - I leave in Madrid
    - Obtain HW instructions to open and manipulate the PC internally.
    Thanks,
    Paco
    FSalcedo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Post 9 errata correction. Last but one paragraph:

The successful experience of JTDavis... (which fixes the problem unless in his case)...

Should read:... (which fixes the problem at least in his case)...

Sorry,
    Paco

Feb 15, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Hi Paco,
    You can find a parts list and service manual at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si....do?country=us.
    My computer is a 2626-LOU with 14.1 inch screen. The part # for my Dcdc and Batt board is FRU 08K3406. I took my replacement out of a damaged 390X but they are available on Ebay. I am not a computer mechanic but have repaired many things over the years. The work is relatively straightforward if you follow the manual carefully. I wouldn't attempt it the first time without the manual - it took me about 90 minutes to replace the board after I had a 390x apart a couple of times before. It is almost the last component to be removed before the main system board so an almost complete disassembly of the computer is required.
    Ranbyit (Russ) was planning to change his board also. You might check with him to see if he was successful. I think he had 2 Dcdc and batt boards...
    Good Luck,
    John

Feb 21, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Follow up:

Jtdavis hit the nail right on the head with the defunct dc/dc card. I also took the plunge and changed out the card on my machine. It was challenging and required nearly a complete disasembly of the unit, but was worth the effort in the end. Ranbyit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual boot problem [ 13 Answers ]

Have win.xp home-SP2.pent 4,1.6.40g HD, 512 ram.a2nd-HD, 100GIG.Idid clean install of xp then using norton ghost cloned it over to 2nd HD.Also have partition commander to give doul boot,iwould like to save c:drive as a back up.useing my d: 100 g.for every day use. The problem I have is when I down...

Thinkpad 390x display problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have just bought a thinkpad 390x old and cheap I know but I'm a student whenever there is a lot going on on the screen it gets all garbled, when I turn down the amount of colours from the display settings it helps but the problem does not go away I have tried to download drivers from the ibm...

ThinkPad boot problem [ 2 Answers ]

WHen I try to boot my ThinkPad I get the error "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I have not had problems in past nor have I made any recent changes. Any suggestions to get back on line. My OS is windows XP PRofessional

IBM 390X CD-ROM Booting Problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just got an IBM 390X at a computer show. I have no docs and Windows is not my really my specialty. Neither are laptops. So, here's my problem. I replaced the hard drive because I needed more disk, and now I need to reinstall Windows. I can't seem to boot from the DVD drive to start the...

View more questions Search