Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadream Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Bad vagina odor
    What causes severe fishy odor disharge and how do I get rid of it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
    It is typically caused by something called Bacterial Vaginosis and is the #1 reason women visit their doctors for vaginal problems in the US.

The cause of BV is not fully understood. BV is associated with an imbalance in the bacteria that are normally found in a woman's vagina. The vagina normally contains mostly "good" bacteria, and fewer "harmful" bacteria. BV develops when there is an increase in harmful bacteria.

Not much is known about how women get BV. There are many unanswered questions about the role that harmful bacteria play in causing BV. Any woman can get BV. However, some activities or behaviors can upset the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina and put women at increased risk including:

* Having a new sex partner or multiple sex partners,
    * Douching, and
    * Using an intrauterine device (IUD) for contraception.

It is not clear what role sexual activity plays in the development of BV. Women do not get BV from toilet seats, bedding, swimming pools, or from touching objects around them. Women that have never had sexual intercourse are rarely affected.

Women with BV may have an abnormal vaginal discharge with an unpleasant odor. Some women report a strong fish-like odor, especially after intercourse. Discharge, if present, is usually white or gray; it can be thin. Women with BV may also have burning during urination or itching around the outside of the vagina, or both. Some women with BV report no signs or symptoms at all.

Although BV will sometimes clear up without treatment, all women with symptoms of BV should be treated to avoid such complications as PID. Male partners generally do not need to be treated. However, BV may spread between female sex partners.

Treatment is especially important for pregnant women. All pregnant women who have ever had a premature delivery or low birth weight baby should be considered for a BV examination, regardless of symptoms, and should be treated if they have BV. All pregnant women who have symptoms of BV should be checked and treated.

Some physicians recommend that all women undergoing a hysterectomy or abortion be treated for BV prior to the procedure, regardless of symptoms, to reduce their risk of developing PID.

BV is treatable with antibiotics prescribed by a health care provider. Two different antibiotics are recommended as treatment for BV: metronidazole or clindamycin. Either can be used with non-pregnant or pregnant women, but the recommended dosages differ. Women with BV who are HIV-positive should receive the same treatment as those who are HIV-negative.

BV can recur after treatment.
    Source: STD Facts - Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)

You need to see your doctor to have this properly diagnosed and treated.
    heywood jablomey Posts: 4, Reputation: -1

Aug 20, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadream
    What causes severe fishy odor disharge and how do I get rid of it?
    Douche Douche Douche
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood jablomey
    Douche Douche Douche
    Actually douching can aide in causing odor as it tends to remove the natural bacteria (normal flora if you will) that aids in removing odor. NEVER, EVER douche unless directed to do so by your doctor.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 21, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Consider making an appointment with your doctor. If its truly severe, he/she may need to Rx something. However, its possible that your noticing it more because its your body... but other people may not.

Its also helpful to eat some healthier foods such as yogurt. Don't douche or bath in vinegar (Old wives tale) without a physician's consent. Those things can damage your sensitive areas. Douching in particular flushes things UP, not down. And as J_9 said, there is natural HEALTHY bacteria there you would not want to flush out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad odor [ 3 Answers ]

We've been living in this house for about three months now. There is a bad odor that fills the air in all 3 apartments and even outside the house occasionally. It seems like this happens when someone uses the bathroom in one of the apartments. What could be the problem?

Bad odor [ 3 Answers ]

Some call to report a bad odor is coming out A/C unit when it's work. Can you help me is it because there is no trap no the drain line

Bad odor from vents [ 1 Answers ]

We have two heat pumps in our home. One upstairs and one down. When the downstairs furnace or air conditioner is on, the home is filled with a bad odor. Almost smells like something decaying, sewer or natural gas :eek: . We had the gas guy come and he couldn't find anything leaking. What might be...

Bad odor [ 1 Answers ]

Help I have a bad odor coming in from the pipe that leads to my sump pump well. Also mud is coming in the same way. I live in a 4 unit townhouse that all share the same drain tile. Don't know if that helps. Thanks in advance birdman60

Bad Odor.. please help [ 6 Answers ]

I have a very horrible odor from my vagina, I know I am and ot alone in this because. I have tried looking for solutions online and have found many women with the same problem. I wash everyday with anti bacterial soap and I use cotton underwear. At the end of they day there's white/brown stuff on...

View more questions Search