Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalmon3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Stumped by Order of Operations
    I have been trying to figure out how to place the fewest number grouping symbols in the numerical expressions below so the equation is true. Any help on figuring these out?

2 squared - 1 cubed * 1 + 1 = 54

5 - 2 sqaured + 4 * 7 - 3 = 54:confused: :confused:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
    I'll give you a hint on the first one: 54 is equal to 27 x 2. Now, can you group the terms to get the equivalent of 27 x 2?

As for order of operation, recall that parentheses take precedence over everything else, so use them as needed to clarify. After that, exponents take precedence, then multiplication and division, and lastly addition and subtraction.

On the 2nd problem, please confirm that the value of the number is 54, and not 52. Thanks.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 20, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Remember the saying
    Please excuse my dear aunt sally
    Please starts with p so does parenthesis
    Excuse - exponents
    My - multiplication
    Dear - division
    Aunt -add
    Sally - subtract

Use the 1st letter of each word in "please excuse my dear aunt sally" and in that order use the one that starts with that letter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Spark (im Stumped) Please Help Anyone [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1989 Mitsubishi Galant. I have no spark to the plugs. I have replaced plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Then a used distributor from a local wrecking yard. Still no spark. I then was told it needed a coil. Still no spark. I did notice that when cranking the engine over there was a thin red line...

We're stumped [ 2 Answers ]

Monday when I came home from work ,I was greeted with the most god awful smell coming from our bathroon sink vanity. The odor is only in the center part where sink and pipes are. I can stick my nose down the drain and there's no odor also on each side compartment of vanity there's no odor. Down in...

The simplest of operations [ 1 Answers ]

I have trouble with the simplest operation of my PC. I need to know how to temporarily disable and restart my virus protection program and others; I need to know the routine to completely uninstall a program; I need to know how to defragment my files on hard disk, etc. I need to know how to...

Stumped, any suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

There is $22,000 in earning available to common stockholder and the stock has a P/E of 18. What would be the steps to find out what the current price of the stock be?

View more questions Search