Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pacermb Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Cause of Homosexuality
    Has anyone actually discovered what causes people to be born homosexual ? Is it genetic, a fault in the DNA, what? Is there a cure ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 10:16 AM
    No one knows the answer to this age old question at the time. There are medical studies to determine if it is genetic, but nothing concrete has been found.

Cure? It's not a disease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
    If there is something that causes it, then why could there not be a cure if some prebirth or post birth treatment could correct the DNA. Just like one would any other birth issue.
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Chuck, there are currently no cures for many diseases out there. I think that a cure for MS or Cerebral Palsy (just 2 examples) would be much higher on the medical front than lifestyle.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    If there is something that causes it, then why could there not be a cure if some prebirth or post birth treatment could correct the DNA. Just like one would any other birth issue.
    You mean like the common cold, or cancer, or AIDS, or Multiple Sclerosis?
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Or, Down's Syndrome, spina bifida, Trisomy 13, I could go on...

I think that there would be more research for a cure for these than attempting to cure homosexuality.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Science cannot cure the common cold, let alone many other illnesses and genetic conditions. Besides, there is no absolute proof positive, beyond question and doubt, link to homosexuality and genetics. There are studies that show it could be and there are studies that show it could be environmental and you will find some studies that saw homosexuality is caused by something in the psychological development of the person. You can find a study to prove anything you want. Does not mean they are all worth their salt.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Genetically homosexuality is rarely discussed seriously in scientific circles because of the uncomfortable reminiscence of the Nazi party.

Shygrneys is right you can find a paper to prove just about anything. If there is funding for it people will write just about anything.

Anyway it does not need to be cured as it is not a disease.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacermb
    Has anyone actually discovered what causes people to be born homosexual ? Is it genetic, a fault in the DNA, what? Is there a cure ?
    At this point there is no definitive evidence that homosexuality is 100% related to genetics. If it were, a "cure" would be another issue.

Sickle cell anemia, is due to a single dna base mutation, there is no "genetic cure, " though there may be one in the future.

Like most things [ intelligence, height, addictions etc... ] there are genetic predispositions, environmental issues, and individual choices all playing a role as to who we are.

GRace and Peace
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Sep 19, 2007, 08:08 PM
    There is an extra hormone or something that makes a females into a males. It is thought that some mothers produce antibodies that attack the hormone, leaving some males not fully developed. It is supposed to be extremely common that the last boy born is most likely going to be the gay one if there is a gay in the family. The reason could be that the mother's antibodies against the male hormones grow too strong over the course of having many sons.

I've seen a book about it on TV recently and I've read some stuff too. Maybe this is the cause.
    Expert

Sep 19, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gallivant_fellow
    There is an extra hormone or something that makes a females into a males. It is thought that some mothers produce antibodies that attack the hormone, leaving some males not fully developed. It is supposed to be extremely common that the last boy born is most likely going to be the gay one if there is a gay in the family. The reason could be that the mother's antibodies against the male hormones grow too strong over the course of having many sons.

I've seen a book about it on TV recently and I've read some stuff too. Maybe this is the cause.
    What? I would like to read this!!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Hello:

I think it's caused by a small grain of sand that gets into womb when the mother and father make love on the beach.

excon

Sep 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Here you go, I found a good article on it. Enjoy!

News in Science - Older brothers a link in being gay - 27/06/2006
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Sep 20, 2007, 12:45 AM
    Although gallivant isn't wrong, he's not completely right either. Being a gay man positively correlates (slightly) with the number of older brothers a person has. This is not the case with women. I'm the second oldest of 6 boys and only 1 of my younger brothers is gay. If hormone antibodies were the sole cause, wouldn't all of my younger brother be gay?

It is difficult to say what, exactly, is the cause of homosexuality, but it seems to be a combination of biological and envirnmental factors. Identical twins reared apart are more likely to have the same sexual orientation than fraternal twins, which suggests a genetic cause; however, not all identical twins (reared apart or together) have the same sexual orientation meaning that there are environmental factors. Also, a sex-linked patern of sexual orientation has been observed.

To Fr_Chuck: why would we waste our time trying to "cure" something that doesn't need curing? Before we even try to cure homosexuality, we should eradicate cancer, alzheimer's, etc. And if we want to start treating behavioral differences, I can think of a few things that should be "cured" before homosexuality (temperment, intelligence, vulnerability to substance abuse, etc.).
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2007, 12:49 AM
    Sorry but I find several views in this thread incredibly unnerving. Homosexuality is not a disease. It's not something to cure. That's like asking if there will ever be a cure for black people. It's disgusting and discriminatory. Please stop.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by americangayboy
    Although gallivant isn't wrong, he's not completely right either. Being a gay man positively correlates (slightly) with the number of older brothers a person has. This is not the case with women. I'm the second oldest of 6 boys and only 1 of my younger brothers is gay. If hormone antibodies were the sole cause, wouldn't all of my younger brother be gay?
    Perfect example of how correlation does not imply causation.

And I agree, we don't need to find a cure for "gay".

Sep 20, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Sorry but I find several views in this thread incredibly unnerving. Homosexuality is not a disease. It's not something to cure. That's like asking if there will ever be a cure for black people. It's disgusting and discriminatory. Please stop.
    I don't think it's the same. Ethnicities have developed different features in order to thrive in their specific environments. Homosexuality is a defect. Opposite sexes are supposed to be attracted to each other so that they have children.

I do agree with you that it is not a problem considering that there have always been homosexuals. I heard about a large study that said every species has about the same percentage of homosexuals in it. It's something that just happens. It doesn't need to be cured, and it has always stayed in balance with everything else.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2007, 09:12 AM
    I definitely disagree that homosexuality is a defect. It's been suggested that it has social benefits (as observed in bonobos), and of course it's not a black or white issue, homosexuals have children in heterosexual relationships, especially in human society where there is still a social taboo over homosexuality.

I believe it's an evolutionary trait, and in no way a defect, and it make a species stronger.
    TOONICE Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 07:02 PM
    There are studies everywhere that involve environmental vs genetics. But none can say definitely, one way or the other, what's truth.

The fact is, theoretcially, DNA can be altered to make everyone fall in line with the norm. As soon as DNA is more understood, it would be possible for the "Stepford" human to exist.
    Everybody the same without any kinks in the DNA. Still what would life be without diversity?
    TOONICE Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Agee to a degree
    Quote Originally Posted by gallivant_fellow
    I don't think it's the same. Ethnicities have developed different features in order to thrive in their specific environments. Homosexuality is a defect. Opposite sexes are supposed to be attracted to each other so that they have children.

I do agree with you that it is not a problem considering that there have always been homosexuals. I heard about a large study that said every species has about the same percentage of homosexuals in it. It's something that just happens. It doesn't need to be cured, and it has always stayed in balance with everything else.

I agree to an extent with what you are saying... however, to suggest it is a defect or abnormally is to also suggest there could be a way to fix it. If evolution has created a percentage where "every species has about the same percentage of homosexuals", would this not be a form of evolving for a reason. Only the strongest survive is the major theory of evolution... evolving to survive... and only the strongest organisms/animals/plants/etc. able to do this will or face extinction. Granted Homosexuals, by theory and popular opinion, can't procreate. By choice they can reproduce and maybe genetic material is passed on and may remain dormant till the right conditions exsist through the generations.

This also leads to question if the Homosexual does choose to have sex with the opposite sex, then does this make them bisexual (which I question the ability to love, sexually, same sex and opposite sex equally) or is it a homosexual giving in to the urge, unconsciously, for homosexuals to survive for possibly generations?

What would also be the reasons for for evolution to homosexual... maybe a form of population control?

Just playing out the reasoning...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search