Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dog_skyhigh Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

Aug 18, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Your Religion
    Do you know your religion?

I mean, how did it get started by whom and in what year and what does it teach!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Most people know their own faiths

Aug 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Myself and other Christians have found that far too many church attendees are not aware of their own church's history.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 05:18 PM
    If you mean how their denominations started, yes many may not know all of that, but in many ways, where and how a denomination actually started means little as to more of what it teaches today, since what it stood for 100 years ago may not be the same as today.

For Christians it is God though the old testement, and Christ though the new testement that was the start of the Church, from that all Christians come from the same start.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:10 PM
    By religion, do you mean the attendance at a particular Church and membership in that Church? Or you do mean Chrisitianity or Islam or Judaism?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 11:47 PM
    I agree with Shygrneyzs,
    Are you asking about different religions or about Christianity and its denominations?

Aug 19, 2007, 05:59 AM
    My thinking was about Christianity and its denominations. My point is, if Christians do not know a denomination's doctrines from its starting position how will they understand any changes that happened over 100 years. Maybe what started 100 years ago may have developed into liberalism today. So, my simple question is referring to form what a person knows about their denomination today and looking backward to how it first started. I did that for my church's history. I was just wondering had anyone else done the same.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:10 AM
    This probably should have been posted in the Christianity category then.
    Personally I'm agnostic so there really is no history to know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Moved to Christianity ;)
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Well of course being part of a independent catholic religious order I know my history very well, A written history of our order can be found at my website Unity Catholic Church
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I attend an Assemby of God Church and know my church's history quite well. Before I could be accepted as a member, I had to take a course the church offered for potential members. Covered beginnings, people, influences, doctrines, etc.

I did grow up Catholic and am aware of Church history there also. In high school, one of the classes taught by our Monsignor was on various church histories. He covered basic ones such as Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican, Seven Day Adventist, Methodist, and Episcopalian - since those were the churches in my home town. He had brought the other pastors in to give their church's backgrounds and that was very helpful.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 08:57 PM
    My religion is Christianity, it was started by Jesus Christ around 26-29 AD. The particular Church movement I attend was started about 30 years ago
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 25, 2007, 07:09 AM
    I don't belong to a denomination, I'm not presbyterian, catholic,methodist, lutherin or pentecostal. As far as I can remenber you don't need to belong to a church in order to be a christian. Just believe God's Word and obey
    teadrinker Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
    I was born into a Roman Catholic family and baptized as such but today at the age of 21 I see myself as a christ follower and not exactly a Roman Christian. This is not true for all catholics but a lot of organized catholizim has turned me off to the whole organized church. I like the ideals of Jesus and his words, I live my life using his teachings. Do unto others, never an eye for an eye. But I don't feel I need to go to church every Sunday to prove my devotion to God. I feel through my own spirituality and what I do in my everyday actions allows me to have a good relationship with a higher power.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 20, 2007, 12:32 PM
    The apostle Paul is the true founder of christianity, not Jesus. Paul wrote his epistles before the gospels were recorded, & his theological & christological ideas heavily influenced the future history of christianity. So how a particular denomination got started doesn't matter. What matters is how christianity got started in the first place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do you really have to have a religion? [ 11 Answers ]

Is having a religion really important is / is it something you really need?? :(

Why religion? [ 47 Answers ]

I was just wondering why those of you with religions chose to believe in it. That is other then it being what your family has done. Just wondering because I myself am not religious at all, so I'm not trying to bash on anyone and I also don't want to be converted. Thanks, Eric

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What are some Historical figures and events of Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism , Daoism?

Religion [ 9 Answers ]

Well, I was not raised in church, My in-laws quilted me into it when I was about 21. I believed every thing I heard for years, I tried to "prove" it. I felt like I had to see evidence of the spirit. I rasied two kids in church until they were old even to make up their own mind. THEN I started...

View more questions Search