Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jas22p Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 12:23 AM
    USB drives stopped functioning
    Hi all. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

My USB ports have stopped working. They are still listed under Device Manager, which says they are working properly. The problem started about the same time I started getting the following installation wizards at startup:
    - AVG7 kernel
    - ldrsvc
    - secdrv

These three things were listed as hardware on my device manager. I disabled them (though I had never actually installed them) and my USB ports worked very briefly (about 30 minutes) then stopped. These three things are still disabled in my device manager.

I have run virus and adware scans, and it says it can't remove these items.

Help! I really need my usb ports to work!

Thanks.

Jennifer
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Aug 19, 2007, 01:34 AM
    Try one quick thing. Re-install the USB driver.

Aug 19, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Can you give me the steps to follow? I assume reinstalling means I need to uninstall first, which I just did. Not sure how to reinstall...

Thanks so much! I've been struggling with this problem for awhile.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Aug 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
    Typically, you can download and install one from the PC/laptop manufacturer's web site. For example, if you bought an HP PC, with a little bit of poking around the website, you can find and down any specific driver.

Aug 20, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Thanks for the info- I'll give it a try.

Aug 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Yikes- I think I have a bigger problem now...

After some research, I realized that neither Intel nor Dell have these drivers on their websites any longer. But, several sources said to try installing Windows XP sp2, which has drivers for all devices. I did this last night, and when I finished the installation wizard, by computer just keeps cycling through restarts. I get the same screen you get if you shut down improperly, where is says it is scanning the disk for errors, which is does. However, it never actually starts up. It will finish the disk check, say Windows is starting up, then start the disk check again.

Is there anything I can do, or have I finally killed my laptop?
    nathavision Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 07:01 AM
    My USB flash drive of 1GB is continuouslly giving the message that ' cannot copy or paste files as the drive is WRITE PROTECTED". Its been like this since I tried using the USB once in another desktop (other than my laptop).please someone help me..
    Swaminathan.v.k. 00919946123647
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 29, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nathavision
    my USB flash drive of 1GB is continuouslly giving the msg that ' cannot copy or paste files as the drive is WRITE PROTECTED". Its been like this since i tried using the USB once in another desktop (other than my laptop).please someone help me..
    swaminathan.v.k. 00919946123647
    Please post new questions in a new thread. It's not nice to steal someone else's.
    mallama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 05:10 PM
    MY USB drive was working fine. Now it won't let me save any documents on it. It says it can't overwrite the file. What happened? Can I fix it?:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C Condenser fan not functioning. [ 15 Answers ]

My a/c is not working. The fan is blowing air but it is not cold air. It seems that the condenser fan is not kicking on when it is supposed to. We thought that it was the motor, because it would turn some, but slowly as if the bushings inside the motor were bad. Well, I got a new fan motor,...

Using a Zydas 1211b USB adapter with a USB Extension cord. [ 12 Answers ]

I just bought a Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter,but it came with no cord.It works fine when plugged directly into my laptop,but when I plug it into a 5ft usb extension cord Windows recognizes it,but I can pick up no signals that I normally can.Occasionally Windows acts reluctant to recognize it,any...

Send/Receive Stopped Functioning in Outlook 2003. [ 1 Answers ]

... and another email notification/read program called ePrompter. Both retrieve to my inbox from Gmail and other servers, but not from/to my Earlink account (ix.netcom.com). Before the malfunction, I had installed Adobe Acrobat and Spy Sweeper updates. Thanks.

Av not functioning [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just tuned in my television it is a bush ak20 with a scart socket, using a universal remote. It changes the channels and volume but it won't change to av channel with the button that's on the remote and I can't play my playstation 2 with no av I'm going mad here people help!!

View more questions Search