Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALLE8797 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Insurance agency
    I'm in CA and in the process of getting my brokers license. I would like to know how to start my own Insurance agency. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Are you affiliated with a company, or will you be an independent, offering a wide range of insurance plans? If the former is true, certainly the company has all sorts of helps for you plus you can hobnob with other agents to find out how they got started and mistakes they made that you will avoid making.

An insurance agency is a small business. Go to your local public library to find books on starting a small business. Ask for help from a reference librarian if you can't find any. I know the books are there.

Ask the reference librarian about village, township, county, and state laws/ordinances that will affect your business and if you have to register a DBA ("doing business as") with any of them (and pay $$).

Ask the reference librarian if there is still exists a book on starting an insurance agency, There used to be one in a three-ring binder format, but it may have gone the way of the oxcart. If it still exists, you might want to get it through interlibrary loan. Or there may be a much more recent version published.

Ask for the phone number for SCORE. It's a helpful organization of retired business executives. There is an 800 number for them. They probably have a web site. Aha! They do -- SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" and a handy-dandy site it is too!

Best wishes and let us know how you are doing.
    ALLE8797 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Thank You!! I will do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Are you affiliated with a company, or will you be an independent, offering a wide range of insurance plans? If the former is true, certainly the company has all sorts of helps for you plus you can hobnob with other agents to find out how they got started and mistakes they made that you will avoid making.

An insurance agency is a small business. Go to your local public library to find books on starting a small business. Ask for help from a reference librarian if you can't find any. I know the books are there.

Ask the reference librarian about village, township, county, and state laws/ordinances that will affect your business and if you have to register a DBA ("doing business as") with any of them (and pay $$).

Ask the reference librarian if there is still exists a book on starting an insurance agency, There used to be one in a three-ring binder format, but it may have gone the way of the oxcart. If it still exists, you might want to get it through interlibrary loan. Or there may be a much more recent version published.

Ask for the phone number for SCORE. It's a helpful organization of retired business executives. There is an 800 number for them. They probably have a web site. Aha!! They do -- SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" and a handy-dandy site it is too!

Best wishes and let us know how you are doing.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Aug 20, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Usually what you need to learn to pass a licenceing exam will not prepare you for the real world.
    You might want to consider working for an established brokerage for a year or two. It will give you a chance to see what really is needed to survive in the business.
    Also it's much easier to establish yourself as a new broker when you have the contacts, backing and resources of someone with experience.
    Hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Modeling Agency [ 2 Answers ]

I've just been asked to review our Modeling Operation to determine how to make it more efficient and ensure they have the tools they need. I just want to get my hands on an effective book to help me do some research. We will be benchmarking agencies. But, I wanted to get a head start. Anyone who...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency add interest to my debt in New York State?

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search