Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tornes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Summons from Collection Agency
    Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 04:22 AM
    Do not fail to respond to the summons. Make every court date and promptly submit whatever info the court asks of you.

If it is a lawful debt, they will probably win the judgment.

When it comes to creditors filing judgments, it's time to consider bankruptcy I think.
    bigcowboy1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tornes
    Recently recieved summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Call a bankruptcy attorney for a free consultation.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 04:05 AM
    You must show up in court or they win. When you get to court deny all and demand to see the original contract, not a copy the original.

Do not admit anything until they do, no contract, no claim.
    head1844 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 07:09 PM
    I just received a civil summons for a collection agency that I have no idea about. What should I do.
    head1844 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 07:13 PM
    I just received a civil summons from a collection agency that I have no idea about, nor have I signed a contract, spoken to them, or seem any previous letters from them.
    What should I do to have this dropped.
    Jakebb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by head1844
    I just received a civil summons from a collection agency that I have no idea about, nor have I signed a contract, spoken to them, or seem any previous letters from them.
    What should I do to have this dropped.
    I've gotten a couple three this year. You won't receive a civil summons from a collection agency, it'll be from the court. If you don't show, all that will happen is the debt will be verified. You owe it. But, when you receive the summons there'll be other paperwork with it in which you can declare deductions. (This is in NC). If you have property they can attach that, but not your home or car. (I'm going from memory here). I don't have any knowledge about garnishment of wages, except that no one can touch my social security except the government.
    My world fell apart a couple years ago and I couldn't get a pro-bono bankruptcy lawyer. Had to sell my truck to live off so I couldn't get to the court.
    A deputy will serve the summons personally, don't let that intimidate you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency Statute of Limitations [ 15 Answers ]

I received a call out of the blue from a collection agency looking to collect on a loan I defaulted on and never repaid. This loan has since been removed from my credit record due to our local Statute of Limitations (6 years). Can this collection agency still collect? Are they still within...

Collection Agency refusing payments in IL. [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 508.00 bill with my ob/gyn from the delivery of my baby (3rd) in April. Since I pay 1k a month for childcare now and didn't have paid maternity leave other than the 2 weeks of vacation/sick time. Money has been extremely extremely tight and I have not had an extra 508.00 to pay it off...

Collection Agency-Sttatue of limitation to collect deb [ 13 Answers ]

I have been contacted by Nordon Collections on a debt from May 2003 In which they advise I owe $9,467.00 due to a car loan after they sold The vehicle on a repo they advised I owe this amount and will take Me to Superior court If I don't pay it today and garnishee my wages. I advised them I do...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

Collection agency refuses payment [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to clear up 3 charges on my credit report. Had a very difficult year. Moved three times did not keep up with existing bills. I pulled credit report. Contacted 2 creditors, both in collections, both sending info and were more than happy that I wanted to make arrangements. Third one,...

View more questions Search