Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Aug 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
    My Bull Dog
    My Bull Dog has little pea size bumps all over her.
    Any one no what this could be is it common in Bull Breed?
    She also has cherry eye any one familure with this?
    My daughter brought her home from the barn where we board our horse,
    She was abussed and neglected.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 06:33 PM
    I would advice anytime you bring in an "unknown" dog esp from questionable care, that your first stop with him should be the vet. Have a complete medical exam for your new member of the family.

Aug 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Bull Dog
    Also the dog pees in the house some times and she is 2 yrs old, is it to late to brake this?

Aug 18, 2007, 06:43 PM
    I have taken her to the vet when we first got her and got her shots exc, he said the cherry eye is common in bull dogs and it takes surgery to correct it which we can't afford at this time It does not seem to bother her at all more cosmetic, but was just wondering if any one else has heard of it. As far as the bumps this is a new development .
    Any animal experts that can tell me any thing about the bumps, and opinion on the wetting in the house if its to late to brake this bad habit?
    hettie Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Aug 18, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Well I guess the bumps could be an allergy of some type perhaps house dust mite? Not saying you have dirty house by the way we all have the little critters in the house and like some people dogs can be allergic if she been kept in barn she will never have been exposed to them before hence prob now

Again if she was raised in a barn she could probably pretty much pee when she wanted you will have to t patient breaking this habit but it can be done take her out at regular intervals lots of praise for peeing outside and ignore accidents just clean up without a fuss you may want to try crating her this isn't cruelit gives her a sense of security when your not about and she may be less inclined to pee as I is her bed

Hope this helped I am not a doggy expert although I have always owned them Labman is very good with this kind of thing if yiou see himabout ask him although hrewillprob answer your post soon he very good and gives great advice onthese things

Well hope it all works out just remember patience and consistency are vital enjoymany happy years with her keep us posted onh ow she goes
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
    I merged your questions since it is the same dog and both need to start at the vet's. I don't speculate on medical problems. I think it is back to the vet, and be sure and mention the peeing in the house. I am unfamiliar with cherry eye. I do remember a question here recently. The search feature works very well here, try it. I don't promise the other cherry eye question got a good answer.

Likely it is a behavior problem. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

In addition, you need to crate her when you aren't around. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy. Accidents are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

Use the crate only when you must I have a short length of chain fastened to
    My computer desk. This gives a place where the puppy is with me, but about as controlled as in the crate, while still allowing me to get some work done, or at least answer AskMe questions.

When you can watch the dog, use closed door or gates to keep it in the same room as you. If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'', and take it out.

Aug 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Thanks all for advice, Although I tried the crate thing and she broke my heart with her sobbing at night. I will take her back to the vet for the bumps if it don't clear up.
    I gave her a bath with dawn soap I'm wondering if that may have caused a skin allergy or dry skin. Also we have a kitten and she has taken it on as hers she even lets it nurse on her,
    Weird dog huh?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:58 PM
    There is a solution to the crying in the crate that at least works with new puppies. I should have suggested you read the sticky on housebreaking at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Treeny is your dog spayed? Letting the kitten nurse is normal, animals do that quite often. It really shows that she is a kind/gentle dog. The lumps really sound like some type of insect bites, are they red? Unless you just did not notice them from before. My inlaws have a dog with knot/bumps all over. They are from bb's that are lodged under her skin from being shot by her previous owners. Good luck and thanks for taking in a stray, you are a kind person.

Aug 19, 2007, 08:55 AM
    That's what they feel like , like little bbs but they are not because they appeared over a night. And she was only home. And yes she is the most loving dog I have ever had, like she's so thankful to have a good home. The boy that dumped her at the barn said that she was used as a breeder from the time she was ols enough to reproduce. SHE WAS SKIN AND BONES.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Treeny, as someone else here mentioned, it may be that she is just not used to living in a house, or there might be a medical condition with her bladder that was brought on by being over used as breeding stock. Between the tiny bumps that showed up overnight and the urination problems, I would suggest a revisit with the vet to be on the safe side. Bull dogs are prone to allergic reactions and the bumps may be a symptom of some sort of allergy. The problem is trying to figure out what might have triggered this. Bull dogs are also prone to developing little lumps on their bodies as they age, so be prepared for that in the future. If the urination is not caused by a medical condition, I would suggest following labman's directions regarding housebreaking. She may just need a refresher course or she may not have been housebroken. So, approach this situation as you would if you brought in a new puppy into your home. You are a good person for taking this girl in when no one else seemed to care about her. Please keep in mind that since you don't know everything that she has been through, she may have some issues, such as urinating in the home, that might take a while for her to overcome due to her age. As the days progress, you may notice some other "bad" habits. Time, patience, and a commitment to help her overcome her problems is very important here.

Regarding Cherry eye, the vet gave you the proper info. This is common in bulldogs, pugs, and cocker spaniels. I am sure that there are other breeds that I am not aware of that suffer more than others from this condition. Surgery is the only thing that will correct it. When you go back to the vet, ask him/her what the prognosis is for her if this condition is left untreated. Ask if this will cause her problems as she ages. Trust the vet in his/her response.

P.S. Please have that poor girl spayed as soon as you are able. She has been through enough being forced to reproduce over and over again.

Aug 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Oh and yes we did get her spayed.

Aug 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Up date on our bull dog GERTY.
    Her bumps were a skin allergy, I gave her benadryl for 2 days and the bumps are gone>
    Thanks every one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit bull puppys [ 8 Answers ]

We have 2 pit bull puppies, 2 doors up. That are somewhat nelgected. They are around 4-5 months old a male and female. Female is looking kind of skinny. The boy seems to be picking on her. He is growling and biting her. I hear this every morning around 0730 at feeding time also I see him fighting...

Pit bull has worms [ 2 Answers ]

My dog (pitt bull)has worms that are shaped kind of like a tooth, and he won't gain any weight, it looks like I am starving him. What kind are these worms and how do I get rid of them??

7 year old pit bull [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My name is Brad and I'm new here. I have a question about my 7 year old pitbull. He is in heat because we have a 9 month old girl who just started her period. My question is. What do I do if my dog will not eat while in heat? I know the vet is the best thing to do but I just had spine...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

View more questions Search