Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    info_seeker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Work in NYC, Have to choose by the way living in NJ or NY
    Hi, I tried a lot to find specific information on my query, but couldn't find it and thus decided to post. Please pardon me if this question has already been answered previously.

I currently live in NYC, and recently got a full time job in downtown NY. I am now looking to move somewhere close to my work-place, and the two options I have is to either move to NJ (jersey city) or somewhere in Midtown. Ignoring the differences in rents, I want to know if there will be any tax savings if I move to NJ (jersey city). And if there are any savings (be it state tax or city tax or any other tax saving), can someone please let me know the amount of that saving based on my salary level. I am currently single, and my salary is in the 70-80k bracket. I plan to either rent a small apt. or share it with someone where-ever I decide to move.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 07:24 AM
    It is likely that moving to New Jersey will be the best move money-wise.

Because you will be working in NY, you will have to pay NY state taxes regardless of where you live.

You do NOT have to pay NY city income taxes because you will not live in NYC.

You will have to file a NJ tax return, but you will not have any NJ tax liability, because the credit given for NY taxes paid will likely completely offset any NJ taxes.

The savings in NOT paying NYC taxes will be the key and will more than offset any commuter costs.
    info_seeker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Hi Atlanta Tax Expert,

Thanks a lot for your help. Can you tell me how much would I save in city tax if I live in NJ. As I mentioned earlier, my salary range is 70k-80k, and I am currently single and will be renting an apt. If you can give me an approximation, that would really help me making a decision.

Thanks once again for all your time and help.
    shakatah Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 06:55 AM
    All else being equal, your tax "savings" will generally be the amount of taxes you would pay to NYC for income tax. The NYC tax table for 2006 is http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/pdf.../pit_rates.pdf

According to the 2006 NYC tax table if you are filing "Single" you would pay $2435 in taxes at $70K and $2800 at $80K if you live in NYC. Living in NJ and working in NYC: You still pay NY state taxes and the amount of NJ taxes your would owe on that salary should be totally offset by what you pay in NY state taxes.

Bottom line is, generally speaking.. assuming all other things being equal and filing SINGLE your disposable income would increase by between $2435 and $2800.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Well done. Shakatah!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in CT and working in NYC and Tax obligation [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, Can someone please help me with these questions: I live in CT and work in NY city. What are my tax obligations here? Is it true that I will have to pay, NY state tax, NY city tax as well as CT state taxes, but since I am living in CT, I will get back the NY State and...

Working in NYC and Living in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of going on several job interviews - all of which are in New York city. I realize that at least $5K of my salary would be going towards travel. However, my concern is double taxes. Currently, I make $55K and while the jobs offer more money (one offers $63K and the...

Living in NJ working NYC [ 9 Answers ]

Hello What are the exact percentages in taxes that will come out of my pay per month? What I will pay? I have read the posts concerning the issue. But I wish calculate the percentages to see whether it is worth working there to what I will be receiving yearly. Thank you

Living in NJ and working in NYC, what are the tax issues? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NJ and just got a job in NYC. What do I need to know about the taxes?

Living in NYC, working in NJ [ 5 Answers ]

My husband works in NJ and lives in the Bronx. WE went to get our taxes done but now owe NJ money because tax guy said they didn't withhold NJ non-resident tax (they didn't). My husband asked his employer today and they said that what we pay to NY state tax should have covered this. Does anyone...

View more questions Search