Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    umi1g Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 02:11 PM
    What is the origin of the phrase "Press Charges"?
    I am reading a book by C.J. Sansom called Dark Fire. In the book, there is a description of 1540's English criminal justice system.

"When she is brought into court, she will be asked to plead guilty or not guilty. If she refuses the under the law she cannot be tried by a jury. But the alternative is worse.......She will be taken to a cell in Newgate and laid in chains on the floor. The will put a big, sharp stone under her back and a board on top of her. .........Each day more weights will be added to the board until she talks or dies of suffocation from the PRESS of the weight...........Some brave souls refuse to plead and allow themselves to be PRESSED to death because if there is no actual finding of guilt one's property is not forfeit to the State."

I am wondering whether the expression we use today is originated from this torture.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:42 PM
    That makes interesting reading but I am not sure.
    I did find the following:
    Definition of prefer charges

You can also look through the Etymology Dictionary and find charge and press. The word charge - c.1225, from O.Fr. Chargier "load, burden," from L.L. carricare "to load a wagon, cart," from L. carrus "wagon.

So there is a possibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phrase Origin [ 5 Answers ]

I have been unable to find the origin of the phrase "close enough for government work." While it is now derogatory and suggestive of sloppy work, I was under the impression it originated with a meaning just the opposite due to stringent specifications for government construction contracts. ...

Origin of "church" [ 3 Answers ]

What is the origin of the word "church"? Jesus told Peter that he would be the cornerstone on which he would build his church. I know that the Jews had temples and I can not think of any other religion which uses this word "church". Any ideas?

The phrase - "Hither twice". [ 2 Answers ]

This is a strange trend I've been noticing around my friends lately - saying "hither twice". It's used as a kind of "I agree". Such as: Bob: Do you want to go to the café? John: Hither twice! Now I, myself, use this. But I was wondering, where does this come from? I've never heard it used...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Meaning of phrase "in-house vendor" ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I noticed the following phrase on some newspaper: "in-house vendor". I'm not an English, and I have look for these words in the dictionary. The dictionaries tell me that "in-house" means make by ourselves Vendor means someone who selling something But, what is the whole phrase...

View more questions Search