Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hariman1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Usa and indian income for taxes in usa
    Myself and my wife are green card holders .my son,a us citizen gifts us some shares which we sell from time to time and use proceeds for our personal expenses.This totals around $11000 for 2006.
    In addition myself and my wife have indian income mainly from dividend and interest and also income from my small busuness.Taxes are paid by us. In india.I want to know how this income and usa income will be treated for taxes in usa and what is tax rate in us for our indian income.
    I have not paid any tax so far in usa.Please clarify.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 07:09 AM
    If you are a Green Card holder, then ALL of your wordl-wide income is subject to U.S. income taxes.

The value of the shares is a gift from your son and is NOT taxable. However, you must report the sale of the stock using Schedule D. The basis for the stock is what your son paid for the stock. The profit is capital gains and must be reported as income.

The dividend and interest income, plus the net profit from the business, must also be reported. Any taxes paid to India can be claimed as a credit using Form 1116.

Recommend you get professional tax help. If you want to use my services, contact me at the email address below.
    sumitbaid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 11:58 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    It is kind of advertisement of his services

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USA name [ 3 Answers ]

Why is United States of America sometimes called as Stateside

Are Indian non-resident students subject to taxes in India on US income? [ 3 Answers ]

Are students who are non-resident in the US for tax purposes, subject to tax in India? If so how can the back taxes be paid? Should we submit that we were subject to taxes in India because we intend to pay our taxes?

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

Taking back taxes when leaving USA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am here in the USA for three months only and I bought a laptop. I understood that when I leave I may have the tax that I paid for that laptop back. I live in California now if that is important. Is that true and if yes how can I do that? Thank you! Anton

View more questions Search