Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fkm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Caulking glass shower
    My builder installed a frameless glass shower a 15 months ago. The glass goes up to the ceiling because the shower is also equipped with a steam generator. We have glass on two sides and limestone on two sides. The silicon caulking that attaches the glass to the limestone
    At the floor of the shower seems to have contracted so that the caulking barely touches the limestone. The caulking that seals the glass at the top and the side is fine. When I open the shower door, the two glass walls tremble because they are not attached at the bottom. My builder hasn't returned my calls, so I guess I need to repair this myself.

First, do I even need to repair, or will a weather change make the silicon expand? Is this problem dangerous -- could the glass fall out, given that it is attached at the top and the side to the limestone? If I must re-caulk, must I remove the old caulking first, or can I caulk over it? If I re-caulk, will I have a problem if the weather changes and the caulking expands -- will the caulking become too tight?

I really need help! I have no experience in matters like these, being a single mom.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 19, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Firstly the what should have been used, and I think he did is 100% silicone. However this is not what hold that glass in place, there has to a track or brakes made from stainless steal to support this, you can get frameless doors I've seen, and the corner to not have any frame ,but attaching the glass with just silicone isn't enough.

As for recaulking, you need to remove the caulk completely, instead of caulking over it,
    I say this because it want make a good seal if you just go over the old stuff,
    They make a caulk remover, sales at Lowe's and homedepot, it's a green gel and you smear it over the silicone and let it disolve what it can then you can remove the rest with a plastic putty knife, 1" blade will do fine,
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Well, I guess you need to do it yourself, because unless you had contacted him before the end of one year, as far as I know he (the contractor) would not be responsible for this. You may call him from an alternate phone number, because I know of an individual that will check their caller i.d. before they answer the phone and if they do not wish to talk to that person, then he will not answer.
    Vinchenzzi Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fkm
    My builder installed a frameless glass shower a 15 months ago. The glass goes up to the ceiling because the shower is also equipped with a steam generator. We have glass on two sides and limestone on two sides. The silicon caulking that attaches the glass to the limestone
    at the floor of the shower seems to have contracted so that the caulking barely touches the limestone. The caulking that seals the glass at the top and the side is fine. When I open the shower door, the two glass walls tremble because they are not attached at the bottom. My builder hasn't returned my calls, so I guess I need to repair this myself.

First, do I even need to repair, or will a weather change make the silicon expand? Is this problem dangerous -- could the glass fall out, given that it is attached at the top and the side to the limestone? If I must re-caulk, must I remove the old caulking first, or can I caulk over it? If I re-caulk, will I have a problem if the weather changes and the caulking expands -- will the caulking become too tight?

I really need help! I have no experience in matters like these, being a single mom.
    I am not an expert in this either but If you go to your local hardware store, they will have stuff that is similar to liquid nails only its clear like the silicone you are talking about. I don't know anything about climate changes and whatnot but if you read the label it will tell where it is applicable. Im sorry but I don't remember the name of the stuff, The price was around 7.oo dollars for 1 tube. That will be plenty for what you have in mind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain caulking nut [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a new shower stall and base . The shower came with a new drain assembly using a caulking nut that I tightened. When I went to test the shower it leaked. I am wondering what I could have done wrong.thanks for any help.

Shower doors or shower glass [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find the shower glass, that when you have the door open the glass is clear, but when you close it turns frosted

Glass Block Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to install a glass block shower in my bathroom. I am going to (hopefully) attach the Door directly to the glass block. My understanding is that I put anchors in the morter joints to hold the door. My question is about finishing. How would I finish the block around the door? It...

Fiber Glass shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My drain broke without me knowing. The strainer was still attached to the shower floor with some surrounding caulk. Water has been running in and around drain pipe creating a lot of moisture underneath the shower floor. Also, a strong lingering odor, I'm assuming from moisture and mold has...

View more questions Search