Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 18, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Diet for diabetics
    My father is diabetic and I want to draw up a weekly menu, but I don't know what would be the best food to give him, a little help please
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
    In all honesty Marily, you should really consult with a real live nutritionist on this. We can give you a little help here, but diabetes is a very intricate illness and the diet can be, well, confusing.

Here is a start for you though. This is a plan I drew up my first semester in Nursing school. It may take a few pages here so bear with me.

Extra Tips for People with Diabetes - Nutrition & Recipes - American Diabetes Association

Extra Tips for People with Diabetes

· A free food is one with less than 20 calories and 5 grams carbohydrate per serving. Examples include diet soft drinks, sugar-free gelatin dessert, sugar-free ice pops, sugarless gum, and sugar-free syrup.
    · Sugar-free does not mean carbohydrate-free. Compare the total carbohydrate content of a sugar-free food with that of the standard product. If there is a big difference in carbohydrate content between the two foods, you may want to buy the sugar-free food. If there is little difference in the total grams of carbohydrate between the two foods, choose the one you want based on price and taste. Make sure to read the label carefully to make the best choice.
    · “No sugar added” foods do not have any form of sugar added during processing or packaging, and do not contain high-sugar ingredients. But remember, they may still be high in carbohydrate, so you have to check the label.
    · Fat-free foods can be higher in carbohydrate and contain almost the same calories as the foods they replace. One good example of this are fat-free cookies. Fat-free foods are not necessarily a better choice than the standard product, so read your labels carefully.

Defeat Diabetes Foundation - Awareness + Action = Prevention

Healthy Approaches to Eating and Cooking
    It seems simple enough. The problem is that everywhere we look there's cheap, convenient and extremely unhealthy food. Because of this, the United States is battling an obesity epidemic, while at the same time starving for critical nutrients.
    In 2004, the Dietary Guidelines Scientific Advisory Committee reported that adults and children in the U.S. consume too little calcium, vitamins A, C and E, fiber, magnesium and potassium. And how do they recommend we get these critical nutrients? By avoiding processed foods in favor of foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. That means eating lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, fish, poultry and lean meats.
    To Eat Healthy, Buy Locally
    A great way to get healthy food free of preservatives is to buy locally grown fruits and vegetables that are in season. Since these foods do not have to be transported more than a few miles, they're picked at the peak of ripeness and less likely to contain chemicals designed to preserve the food during the shipping process.

Visit Your Local Farmers' Market
    If you're looking for locally grown food, there's no better place to go than your neighborhood farmers' market. Just remember, it's about taste, not appearance. Because locally grown fruits and vegetables aren't full of preservatives, they often don't look as good as those found in grocery stores. But when it comes to flavor, there's no comparison. A trip to the farmers' market is also a great activity for kids who'll love the chance to taste, touch and choose their own food.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Recipe for Health
    The easiest way to cook more healthily is to follow a healthy recipe. So next time you're ready to try something new, check out the recipes on DDF's website which offer information on health and nutrition.
    Healthy cooking doesn't have to stop you from enjoying your favorite recipes. Try substituting the unhealthy ingredients in your favorite foods with ingredients that are better for you. With a little creativity, you can enjoy a lifetime of meals that taste good and are good for you.
    Healthy Cooking Techniques
    Recipes are great, but sometimes you just have to wing it. That's okay though, just use one the following cooking techniques and you'll be sure to retain the health benefits of your food and, in some cases, enhance them.
    Spice It Up -- Eating healthy food is easy when it tastes good. You can add color, taste and aroma to your meals by seasoning them with a variety of spices and herbs. Or try adding a little citrus juice, vinegar, toasted nuts or bell peppers. Just be careful when using premixed spices because many contain extra salt.
    Take It -- Outside Grilling outdoors is another great way to prepare a healthy meal, especially when cooking slightly fattier cuts of meat, because much of the fat drains off. And if you're a sports fan, grilling during a tailgating party is a fun alternative to greasy stadium food.
    Throw It in the Oven -- Unfortunately, for many parts of the country, cooking outdoors is a seasonal affair. So when it's too to cold fire up the grill, try baking, roasting or broiling instead. And if you're cooking meat or poultry, be sure to use a broiling rack, which works just like a grill to allow excess fat to drain off your food.
    Use Steam Power -- Steaming is so easy it's almost bachelor-proof. Simply put your food in a steamer, place it above boiling water and let it cook. The best part is, steaming keeps more of the nutrients in the food as well as the flavor. And, if you season the water or substitute it with a more savory liquid, it'll flavor the food as it cooks. (Steamers can be bought almost anywhere cookware is sold.)
    Try Stir-Fry -- Don't let the word "fry" scare you. Stir-fry is a healthy way to prepare a meal. Simply stir some vegetables, poultry and seafood with wine or a small amount of vegetable oil in a wok or sauté pan until done. And it's a good idea to avoid high-sodium seasonings like teriyaki and soy sauce.
    Microwave It -- Microwaves are a fast and easy way to cook food without adding fat or calories. And like steaming, heating vegetables in a microwave allows them to retain their nutrients. There is some concern that some of the chemicals from plastic microwave-safe containers can leach into your food during heating and potentially cause health hazards. To be on the safe side, use ceramic or glass bowls instead.
    Plan on Having No Time
    The biggest hurdle to healthy cooking is lack of time. But, by planning ahead, you can avoid finding yourself in a situation where an unhealthy meal is your only choice.
    Save Leftovers. Refrigerate leftover food and reheat it when you need a quick meal, or make a Do-It-Yourself TV Dinners. When preparing a meal you can always make one or two extra servings and freeze them for later consumption. You'll know these TV dinners are healthy because you make them yourself.
    Pack Your Lunch. Taking your lunch to work will keep fast food out of your hands and money in your wallet. It's often helpful to prepare your lunch the night before when you're in less of a rush.
    Read the Fine Print
    It’s probably impossible to completely avoid processed foods, but by learning to read product labels you can make informed decisions before you buy. Just remember, the best foods, like fruits and vegetables, have no labels at all.
    Foods to Avoid
    Just because it's on a supermarket shelf doesn't mean you should eat it. Processed foods like fast food, pre-prepared meals, and most packaged snack foods and candy bars contain ingredients that may have a negative impact on your health, including refined sugars and trans fat.
    If consumed in moderation refined sugar doesn’t pose a major health threat (and it tastes good). But let's face it; moderation is not something Americans do well. Because of the amount of refined sugar used to sweeten many processed foods, the average American takes in 29 to 40 tablespoons of sugar a day. This amount of sugar can lead to a number of health problems including tooth decay and obesity.
    Trans fat, on the other hand, is another matter. Trans fat is man-made fat found in any product containing hydrogenated oil, including margarine and some vegetable oils. Trans fat has been popular with food manufactures for decades because of its long shelf life and unique texture. Unfortunately, studies indicate that ingesting trans fat lowers good cholesterol (HDL), while increasing bad cholesterol (LDL) and the risk of heart disease.
    It's also wise to avoid saturated fat which is found primarily in meat, dairy and other animal products. Although natural, saturated fat also has a negative effect on cholesterol levels and can increase the risk of heart disease. You can easily reduce the amount of saturated fat in your diet by choosing lean meats and low-fat or fat-free dairy products.
    Good Fats
    Surprised? Not all fats are bad. Unsaturated fat, found in natural foods, are absolutely essential for a healthy heart. It should come as no surprise that these fats are found in natural sources, including: cold-water fish (such as salmon), olive oil, almonds and avocados. Even though these fats are good for you they still are not calorie free and should be eaten in moderation.
    Choose a Healthy Diet
    No matter what diet you try, you won't lose weight unless you burn more calories than you consume. This can be accomplished through regular exercise and portion control.
    It's also important to note that dieting to lose weight is not the same as healthy eating. So if you're trying to slim down, remember to make sure you're getting the nutrients your body needs. The best way to do that, is to find room in your diet for lean meats, whole grains and fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 08:02 AM
    And lastly, a sample diet.

BREAKFAS1.doc

French Toast Sticks.doc

LUNCH.doc

Tuna.doc
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 18, 2007, 08:13 AM
    You have been very helpful, thanks J_9
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 18, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Nutrition & Recipes - American Diabetes Association

Try this for starters. OOPS, I guess I took too long typing. J_9 beat me to the punch. Also got interrupted by my grandson's visit and we played outside a while - how time flies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

Diabetics eye glasses [ 2 Answers ]

Do diabetics pay for glasses

Diabetics and glasses [ 2 Answers ]

Do diabetics pay for the lenses for glasses or not? I know that they pay for the frames. oscar47

Strawberry jam for diabetics [ 1 Answers ]

My sister has diabetes and I have lots of strawberries, so... does anyone have a recipe for Strawberry jam suitable for diabetics please? Thanks

Ambrotose Is It SAfe For Diabetics? [ 2 Answers ]

I am diabetic.I took the normal? Route ,dealing with it ,their way! LOL Not anymore no more insulin,I take vit. min. and herbs.Can I safely add ambrotose? My sugar is still high about 200 but I feel so much better.Can I safely add Ambrotose?I don't eat sugar and rarely eat bread.I can't eat fruit...

View more questions Search