Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Lyger and mule
    I have read about (tiger and lion mates to get )lyger (I think that is the spelling) and about mules(a horse and donkey mates to get mules).

It seems they cannot breed within this new species, is this true?
    If evolution helps stronger species to increase in number why does this happen?
    Also are there other cross bred wild animals and what are they?

Thanks all... :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:14 AM
    This isn't evolution, it's cross breeding. Most cross breeds are sterile.
    Evolution is mutation within a species. (you must have a few misconceptions about evolution if you think this is how it works! )
    Speciation can happen this way, but it is considered to be extremely rare.

There are many examples listed here: Hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't mention Lilis and Titis which are liger/lion and tigon/tiger offspring.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:33 AM
    No I don't have misconceptions.. :)
    I just am not much informed on the animal evolution.

So you are saying there has been offspring from crossbred tigons(what is a tigon) and ligers?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Yes but they get progressively less fertile and there is only certain ways it can be done. It is very difficult to do. Here is a great website all about these sort of things and the science behind it

HYBRID AND MUTANT ANIMALS
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Most male ligers are infertile but some females are fertile.

A tigon is a male tiger/female lion
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Just want to make sure I am understanding you, what do you mean by "the animal evolution"?
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Just want to make sure I am understanding you, what do you mean by "the animal evolution"?
    There are some possibilities that evolution of animals occurred.. but I can't say I whole heartedly believe in it, but human evolution(you have read my other posts on different threads regarding my views on human evolution etc :) ) that is a whole different subject .
    Capuchin, You and I surely don't have the same views on this, so better to leave that.. :rolleyes:

But I have been interested in knowing what I can on science especially plants and animal life, hence my need to know about the hybrids...
    Science helps me with my faith as my faith asks me to look,learn and understand from those who know..

Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 08:55 AM
    It does seem absurd to me that you choose to separate humans from animals. I had supposed that creationism was about each species being specially created, but I guess the bible does only split between human and animal.

Now that I think about that, it seems absurder still than species special creation. Thank you for helping me understand your beliefs :)
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Hehe oops! Thank you though :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 09:19 AM
    The Muslims at my school defined themselves as creationist (not that I'm saying you are either), I don't think it has to be specifically any religion. That's the impression I have always had anyway, could be wrong.

Would like to know you're opinion on this firmbeliever :) Just out of random curiosity
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    The Muslims at my school defined themselves as creationist (not that I'm saying you are either), I don't think it has to be specifically any religion. That's the impression I have always had anyway, could be wrong.

Would like to know you're opinion on this firmbeliever :) Just out of random curiosity
    Thank you for taking an interest to know.
    I cannot exactly say in my own words, or explain articulately-so here's an article
    And the link
    ---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/science/

Is There Creation? Or Evolution? Or Both?

Quran Teaches - BOTH!

It says, "Allah is - Al Khaliq" (The Creator)
    It also says, "Allah is - Al Bari" (The Evolver)

For the Muslim there is no need for separation between religion and science. It is understood from the Quran, revealed over 1,400 years ago, that there is both; "Creation" and "Evolution." And in both instances, it is only Allah who is "Able to do all things." In fact, it was the Muslim scientists, more than 1,000 years ago, who set the stage for the adancement of learning, technology and disciplines in science that we know today.

Allah has explained how He created everythng in the universe and brought all life out of water. He created humans from earth (not monkeys) and there is no need to attempt fabrications of "links" to the animal world in Islam.

Origin of man in Islam: Creation or Evolution

ISLAM EVOLUTION CREATION

The Christian Bible says that Adam & Eve were both created here on Earth, less than 10,000 years ago. The Quran says that Adam & Eve were created in Heaven, and NOT on Earth. When they disobeyed God, He expelled them from Heaven, down to Earth. The Quran does not say when this happened. Also the Quran does not say whether Adam & Eve were physically transported from Heaven to Earth, or just their souls were put into the already living homo sapiens.

Muslims believe that souls are assigned to humans 40 days after the human inception. The Quran says that angels retrieve human souls on two occasions. One occasion is when humans die. The other occasion is every time humans fall asleep. When humans wakeup, the angels release those souls back to them:

(Quran 39.42) It is Allah that takes the souls (of men) at death; and those that did not die, during their sleep: those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He keeps back, but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed. Verily in this are Signs for those who reflect.

So, according to the Quran, humans can be alive, breathing, with fully functional bodies (hence perfect DNA), but still without souls.

Homo sapiens had the same bodies and DNA as humans, but what about their souls? Were the souls of the first humans (Adam & Eve) put into those evolved homo sapiens? To answer this question, we need more information about souls and spirits. But Allah clearly bans all information about souls and spirits:

(Quran 17.85) And they ask you about the Spirit, say: "The Spirit concerns only my Lord: The knowledge of which only a little is communicated to you"

So all the information that will answer whether the souls of the first humans were put into homo sapiens, is banned. Muslims don't venture into this topic simply because God ordered them not to.

However, this is not the case concerning animals. The Quran agrees with science that all life started in water, and not on dry land:

(Quran 24.45) And Allah has created every animal from water; of them there are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. Allah creates what He wills: for verily Allah has power over all things.

So the Quran agrees with science on the evolution of animals. But for humans, the Quran stops short of answering whether it was transportation from heaven or just homo sapiens with human souls.

DNA research point to the later scenario; but why couldn't God use for Adam & Eve the same DNA as homo sapiens? Isn't this DNA of His own creation in the first place? And how difficult is it to copy?
    --------------------------------------------
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 02:22 AM
    Comments on this post
    templelane agrees: thanks for such a nice answer!
    -----------------------------

I am glad you liked it, though those were not my words, it is what I believe.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Yes but thank you for taking the time to explain it, not many people do :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search