Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Aug 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
    Tipping on take out food?
    Sometimes I have a meal in a restaurant and have a take out order for my son. I have only been paying a tip on my meal and drink... should I be tipping on the take out too? I do not think so, as there is no service involved, ex: refillling drink, bringing condiments, etc. Also I was told that you tip on the amount of the food and drink only, not on the tax. Is this correct also? Also I tip in relation to the service more than the total amount... say if I have a total of $9.53 and had great service... I may tip $2.00 or so. If I have bad service and my total is perhaps $15.14 I may tip only $ .75 (cents) . Do I have this tipping down correctly? Thanks! :p
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 10:56 PM
    If I have bad service, I would never leave one penny tip. I have even refused to pay on those places that require tips for meals if I get bad service. But I also don't tip on take out, unless I ask for something very special, and the such.
    pepper jean Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2007, 07:53 AM
    You've obviously never worked for tips before. Most waiters/waitresses are making 2 dollars and hour and for the bad service sometimes people just have bad days. Although bad service really does piss me off, everyone has a story and you never know what has happened to somebody that day or for their whole life. Treat people how you would like to be treated and try walking a mile in someone's shoes before you just get mad at the bad service, happens and it is how you handle it is the only thing that really matters.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 08:36 AM
    I don't think it is unreasonable to not tip for carry-out food. I agree with you, the level of service for placing a carry-out order is significantly less than for dine-in. I have worked in the restaurant industry before, so I know how important tips can be, which is why, unless I receive absolutley unacceptable service, I always leave something. It's important to realize mistakes and delays are not always the servers fault, and they shouldn't suffer because the kitchen is having a bad night. My hubby and I tend to be generous tippers - usually 20%, 10% if it's bad.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2007, 08:47 AM
    I've noticed a recent trend of tip jars on carry out counters. Its not a trend I like and I don't tip there. However, if I'm sitting down at a meal and I also order some take out after I finish my meal I would include that in my tip.

Oct 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
    ScotGem, yes, I see those tip jars and think they are so tacky! I never put money in them either... I did not quite fully understand your answer of "if I am sitting down at a meal and I also order some take out (which is what I do) after I finish my meal I would include that in my tip. Do you mean you would include your meal PLUS the total on the take out? If so why? You did not get the table service like your eating there, no condiments to bring, no refill on drinks, etc... just want to understand the logic. Thanks!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 12:12 PM
    I will usually tip a dollar or two if I order take out from an actual sit down restaurant since I know that someone is usually taking time away from their tables to pack up my order and make sure everything is right and bring it out to me. If I get take out from a take out only or a place that is primarily take out I don't tip. But I used to wait tables so I tip obscenely.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2007, 12:19 PM
    If I'm getting waitperson service and I order something to be bagged, then that's just part of my order. I wouldn't include a full tip on it, but I would add something since it was part of the waitperson's service to me.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 01:08 PM
    I wouldn't tip for take out.

As for what you tip for your meal.

Tip on the before tax bill.

Tip between 10-15% although I am told in the US, it is more customary to tip between 15-20%.

As for bad service….I know a lot of people just tip 1 penny, I personally would tip nothing because I don't want to give the server any of my money.

As for pepper jean's comments. I disagree with you. I don't care if they make $2 an hour or $20. I will not give them MY money if they don't do their jobs. If they are having a bad day, tough. Their JOB is to serve me food. If they can't do their job and are awful, then they forfeit their tip.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    As for pepper jean’s comments. I disagree with you. I don’t care if they make $2 an hour or $20. I will not give them MY money if they don’t do their jobs. If they are having a bad day, tough. Their JOB is to serve me food. If they can’t do their job and are awful, then they forfeit their tip.
    I agree with you CaptainForest. I used to wait tables and I busted my butt to get good tips you get what you put into it. The only thing that would bother me is when I gave someone great service and they tipped me poorly (thats a whole nother story). I think its different for ex-wait staff even if I get poor service I still tip well BUT if the service was bad enough I would say something to a manager that's where the effect really happens.

Oct 5, 2007, 05:15 AM
    I also disagree with Pepper Jean... any working person could claim "they are having a bad day", or any of life's problems we all have, BUT they should not let it show in there service. EX: The pilot of the plane you are riding in, had just broken up with her boyfriend... should she fly any worse?? than if she did not just break up with him? If they are that upset... they should take time off... (please don't start, with the if I don't work, I don't get paid, THAT is a whole other subject!)
    pepper jean Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
    WOW!! Are you always that cheerful CaptainForest? You show those food service workers who's boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

New Hairdresser and tipping [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to a new hairdresser today because my friend who used to do my hair has moved out of state. What should I tip my new girl? Do I take a certain percentage of the bill?

Tipping for Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting married in May and I had a few quesitons that no one can help me out on. 1. I read that the groom is supposed to be responsible for making a "donation" to the church that your getting married at. That's fine... how much? 2. Do you tip the servers at the reception venue and if...

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

Yellow tipping [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me what yellow tipping means?

View more questions Search