Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bathgates Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Stepchildren Parties
    I have been with my husband for 19 years. My stepson, who is 24 years old, is having a housewarming party with his new wife and has invited his mother along with my in-laws. (His father's extended family) I do not want to attend any gathering with my husbands ex-wife. Not only hasn't his divorce been amicable, his ex-wife had kept his children from him for seven years. She is always causing trouble for us and the kids but wants to be part of my husbands extended family. Although she has remarried and had several romantic relationships, she cannot move on. She demands more and more child support for their 19 year old daughter and doesn't miss an opportunity to interfere in our marriage. Should we go to this social gathering or should we set a precedent that we will not be in her company for any reason or occasion whatsoever.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 10:03 PM
    This is his child, it is not fair for you to interfere with his being there for an event, esp if he has had trouble in the past seeing or being close to the child. There are times when you have to take the "higher road" and do what is right, even if you don't want to.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 05:07 AM
    Bathgates, I agree fully with Fr Chuck. I was in the same situation as you are in. This is completely about control and intimidation on her part. Not attending the party is exactly what this woman expects and wants from you both. Don't give her the satisfaction. My late husband's ex was a real piece of work. Since this is your husband's child and his parents, you both need to attend. If she is anything like my husband's ex, she gets a kick out of the fact that her mere presence makes you both angry and uncomfortable. She wants nothing more than for you both to be as miserable and unhappy as she is. Do not allow her to take control of any situation that has to do with his family. As Chuck says, rise above it. Although I couldn't stand the head games his ex would play with everyone around her, I would go right up to her, standing straight and tall and pretty much right in her face, and give her a pleasant hello. It made her EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Then my husband and I would hang out with his kids and in-laws and be very much a family in front of her. His ex needs to understand that nothing she does is going to intimidate you or make you both miss out on the family get togethers. Your in-laws want nothing more than their son to be happy, so you do have people there that are in the same boat you are in and they need you to be there too. She may not ever adjust her attitude, but you both need to let her know that nothing she does is going to ruin your good time and she needs to see that you are a strong couple that are very happy being together. By doing this, it will most assuredly ruin her day and not yours.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
    He's an adult who invited all of you... he'd like all of you to attend. Even though it might be awkward, this isn't the time or place to make a stand. You've been with your husband for 19 years... almost all of your stepson's life... you can do this. Just go and keep your distance. If she (or someone else) starts something, politely excuse yourself.

If you don't go, however, it will look selfish on your part, even if you're just trying to avoid a confrontation.

Good luck
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Aug 31, 2007, 05:52 PM
    The ex-wife is not the hostess. She is one person and you can avoid talking to her, but it would be nice (for the son and his wife) for you to politely say "hello" and then talk to someone else.

Surely you can understand that the Son loves his mother - even though she's been quite a pain from your description. This is about showing off their new home and starting a new life inclusive of family - it is not the young couple's intention to stir up old hurts or arguments or create the next episode of family feud.

Go, bring a housewarming gift, rave about the house and their entertaining and take an interest in the other family members there. No matter this woman's actions, everyone has their own mind and know what's up by now, I'm sure.

My ex-husband and his wife will not attend birthday parties, graduation parties or other functions that I am attending for our son. It doesn't make any type of relevant statement to me, and it hurts our son. I personally feel it's petty. The party is not about you, nor about the mother - your relationship with her is irrelevant to the event. The couple cannot be put in a position of taking sides. A housewarming is a casual, drop-in type of event and you can certainly handle it. In the future, they may have children and you will have baptismal brunches, graduation ceremonies and more that she will be invited to. Don't cheat yourself and your grandchildren (yes, yours - you raised their father) and your step-son suffer because they are the product of a divorced couple, please.
    Srennie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathgates
    I have been with my husband for 19 years. My stepson, who is 24 years old, is having a housewarming party with his new wife and has invited his mother along with my in-laws. (His father's extended family) I do not want to attend any gathering with my husbands ex-wife. Not only hasn't his divorce been amicable, his ex-wife had kept his children from him for seven years. She is always causing trouble for us and the kids but wants to be part of my husbands extended family. Although she has remarried and had several romantic relationships, she cannot move on. She demands more and more child support for their 19 year old daughter and doesn't miss an opportunity to interfere in our marriage. Should we go to this social gathering or should we set a precedent that we will not be in her company for any reason or occasion whatsoever.
    On the whole the rule is to go since it is for your stepson . Good luck
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Honestly, If it were me, I'd put on my smiley face
    And attend the party - like I'm not the least bit intimidated -
    Just a confident lady having a grand time at my stepsons house warming party.
    Then, I'd give myself a pat on the back for pulling it off.

Good luck to you with whatever you choose to do.
    Remember, "sweet revenge" on those that try to bring you down and make you unhappy, is for them to see you happy and doing well.
    (LOL, or it goes something like that) But it's true:D
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Oct 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Smother her with kindness.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Afraid of certain parties. [ 5 Answers ]

I'm still seventeen and I started to take interest in another girl, except that she smokes and is somewhat of a party goer. The problem is that I've never been to a party, with alcohol and drugs, before in my high school life, more like entire life. Primarily because I've been really quiet for...

How to change parties? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings, I live in North Carolina and wish to change political party registration to be an Independent. How do I go about this or do I have to wait until an election?

Inlaws don't trust me with my stepchildren [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living with my future husband for the last 6 months. We plan on getting married this Dec. & get a house this summer. We live in his parents house. I have known his family for the past 1 1/2 years. Coming over and visiting, staying the night on weekends, etc. Playing with my 2 future...

Political parties [ 3 Answers ]

How do political parties influence the selection of canidates running for election at the state and local level?

Stocinged Feet at Parties [ 1 Answers ]

While I was growing up my parent used to have parties where guest removed their shoes. The women look so elegant in their stockinged feet, particular those who wore Full Fashion seam stockings. The men look comfortable in their suits and sock feet. I understand in part of the world, Japan,...

View more questions Search