Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    norah97 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Aug 17, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Goldfish Gulping
    I have a cute chubby goldfish that had two siblings in amongst the regular goldfish. Unlike last year, something has killed 80% of the goldfish in our pond. I decided to take out the cute goldfish and put it in a large glass vase which I keep water bamboo. (My fighting fish lives in one of these very successfully). The goldfish is frequently up at the top of the water as if it is trying to get air. He is fed. What could be the problem. Water is chlorine free.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 06:04 PM
    If there is no air system for the vase, then all he is doing is trying to breathe I would suspect.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 10:47 AM
    This is not a disagree, this is you failing to provide air and the proper care for your fish.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Beta fighting fish breath with an organ called a labyrinth which
    Is comparable to our lungs. They breath by surfacing to the top of the water to take a breath of air. This is how it is possible for them to live in vases.

A goldfish gets it's oxygen from within the water through it's gills.
    In order for the goldfish to get the amount of oxygen it needs, an air supply must be given to the water.
    Goldfish also produce a lot of ammonia which cause the unfiltered water of a vase to become so polluted that it will definitely cause death.

Trying to figure out the problem with the pond water is the best solution for the fish.
    norah97 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Aug 19, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate my mistake and won't run into this problem in the fall when I have to bring the goldfish in. I thought goldfish and fighters both survived in a fish bowl.
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Goldfish are about the nastiest fish you can keep in a fishbowl or aquaruim due to the incredible quantites of ammonia they output. I think it must a ratio something like 1/2 oz of food to 10 gallons of pure ammonia but I'm sure it just seems that way. They can cr*P up and pollute a nice-sized aquarium with filtration and aeration in what seems to be nothing flat so having them in a still-water bowl really exacerbates the problem.
    Anytime you see fish coming up to the top of the water to take in air, ('cepting that labyrinth fish thang you was writing about earlier) you know you've got a water quality issue and should be doing a partial water change and figuring out if you have too many fish for the tank size or something died and is polluting the water or your filters or biofiltration beds are overloaded. Whatever the cause, you don't have a lot of time to waste before you start holding burial at sea ceremonies in your bathroom...

Get some nice Gold Swordtails or the like instead - much cleaner fish...

You didn't give many pond details so I don't know if the water was getting too hot for the fish, lack of shade, overfeeding or simply overcrowding is the cause of you losing 80% of your fish pop. Even though its an outdoor pond, seems a lot of folks around Dallas will add a pump help aerate the water to help the temps and breakdown of waste products...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish gulping at water line [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for visiting my question.. I have two young fancy goldfish Bob is a black moor about 1.5 in, Pearl is a Pearl Scale about 2in.. and of course I have Nascar the snail. I have a 20 gal tank for the moment with a 25 gal biowheel and a airstone. My tank is 0 on the ammonia, 7 ph, nitrite...

My goldfish [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can I buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do I need ?

My goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my goldfish have been swimming around the top a lot. :confused: They will go a little above the water and come back down.:confused: They will go near the bubbles and come back down. Sometimes they will go all the way down. But most of the time they are swimming around the top. Why are they...

Goldfish Help [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a goldfish for 6 years and she has survived a lot of sickness! I live in a small apartment and am currently having some remodeling work done. Since the work has begun, my goldfish tank has become very cloudy and I believe it is from the incredible dust being caused by the construction....

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goldfish in my water garden and it's forever upside down. It swims for a little while the correct way then it's either facing down with it's tail up or upside down. Should I be worried about this.

View more questions Search