Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dougjo42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
    $200 a month for hot water!
    Just moved into a condo that has an electric water heater and a recirculator. Known past history of high electric bills related to the water heater (about 5 years old). Our neighbor with a similar condo but has a gas water heater has an electric bill at least $200 less than ours. Can this be normal? Or could there be a problem with either the water heater or recirculator to cause excessive electrical usage? Thanks!! Doug
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Do you pay your own water bill? If your water bill is also higher than your neighbor it is possible that you might have a water leak in your hot water line and the water is going under the slab. Do you ever hear the sound of water running when you don't have any water on?
    Another possibility is that you have an element shorted out to the water heater tank and it is actually heating the water with 120 volts. If the element is a 4500 watt element and it is using 120 volts, that would you mean that you are using 37.5 amps per hour continually 24 hours a day. Does your hot water ever seem extremely hot?
    rubinwolf Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjo42
    Just moved into a condo that has an electric water heater and a recirculator. Known past history of high electric bills related to the water heater (about 5 years old). Our neighbor with a similar condo but has a gas water heater has an electric bill at least $200 less than ours. Can this be normal? Or could there be a problem with either the water heater or recirculator to cause excessive electrical usage? Thanks!!! Doug
    Check the meter number and how, where it runs. You may be paying gas for the whole building, I moved into condo and was being billed for the whole building, someone else was paying my gas bill. But I moved into new construction building. The developer screwed everyone's meters up. We only figured it out until someone's meter was shut off for none payment. But the persons meter that was shut off had been paying all along.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Could be a water leak.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2007, 06:02 AM
    There could be many reasons for a high electric bill on your water heater. The temperature could be set too high,( 120 F. is the factory setting).
    Teen age showers can run the bill up. Large families contribute to a high energy bill. As Mowerman pointed out you could have a hot water lkeak or a dripping hot water faucet, check your water meter for a in-house leak. All of the above can cause your electric bill to shoot up. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Loss of hot water in shower when hot water is used by sink [ 2 Answers ]

We are in the process of remodeling our basement bathroom/shower. We have the whole thing gutted and can see where the cold water pipes come into our house. We want to fix the problem we have of when taking a shower, no one can use any hot water because the shower momentarily gets cold. Once the...

Replacing Hot Water Radiators with Hot Water Baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system with radiators, and I want to replace the radiators in the upstairs bathroom and bedrooms (2) with hot water baseboards. Can radiators and baseboards be mixed and if so, how do I determine the size of the baseboards?

Hot water run in bathroom cuts out hot water in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Currently in our bungalow, if we run hot water in the bath & also run hot water in the kitchen tap, after a few seconds water from the kitchen taps stops. If we turn off the bath tap, water still refuses to flow from the kitchen tap. My wife knows a little about the history of the...

View more questions Search