Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fraberna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 04:45 PM
    1918 piano worth
    How much could be the purchase porice of a 1918 Adam Schaaf upright piano in mediocre condition?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 09:35 PM
    It's amazing that someone could post an inquiry about the same brand of piano on the same site in so short a time! Also, considering that these types of questions about pianos seem to occur very seldom on this site.

Anyway, if the piano is not in very good condition, or "mediocre" as you have described, then it isn't worth very much. However, please describe why you or someone else thinks that it is in mediocre condition? I would appreciate a lot of detail for the reason, if you can. Because if you can, then I would be able to give you a more thorough answer that would be more satisfactory to you. I have been a piano/tuner technician since 1974.

Here are some things to consider in answering my question. You don't have to answer each question. They are questions to help you to figure out why you are saying that it is in mediocre condition.

Are you trying to sell the piano or considering purchasing it?
    If you are trying to sell it, are you looking for a possible price for which to sell it?
    If you are considering purchasing it, what is the current asking price?
    Has someone told you that it is in mediocre condition?
    Has it been tuned on a regular basis, say at least once or twice a year?
    Are all of the ivories on the keytops intact? And, are all of the black keytops in good shape?
    Can a person play all of the notes?
    Has it been played on a frequent and regular basis recently?
    Does it have the original bench or one that matches the woodwork on the piano and is made of the same kind of wood?
    Has it been painted?
    Has it been stored in a basement or outside?
    Do you know if any parts have been replaced on the inside?

Again, just some thoughts to help you in answering why you think it is mediocre, and to help me to provide you with a better answer.

Here is the link and also the answer that I gave to someone else concerning their piano who had a similar question as you.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/collec...ighlight=piano

Good, helpful answers above!

Your piano is an old upright. What they are worth can vary greatly. Most people do not want old uprights. They are hard to move around and take up a lot of space both vertically and horizontally. I have seen them garages as well as on front porches. This is too bad, as they can be wonderful instruments. Because they are not that desirable, they are given away, thrown away and also sold for anywhere from $25.00 to $125.00 around where I live. For your piano to have a lot of value, then it would have to have had a lot of refurbishing done to it. The felts wear out. Strings (wires) generally lose there tensile strength after about 25 years. That's not to say that the strings can't sound good after 25 years, but they will not sound the best that they can.

The sound of them can be great! And, comparable to that of a small grand piano. I try to save old uprights from the dump pile whenever I can. For instance, I am currently repairing, tuning and doing a bunch of other things on an old upright around where I live for a couple in Chicago, IL. They are paying me over $600.00 for what I am doing. Are they ever going to be able to sell it for the money that they are putting into it. No. Are they getting an instrument that will sound good and last for many more decades? Yes.

Another customer of mine who is located about 200 miles from where I live, is paying me over $3,000 to do many things to an old upright that belonged to his grandmother. Would he ever be able to sell his piano for what he is putting into it as far as the restoration? No. But, the piano is worth a lot to him because of the intrinsic value that it has - it belonged to his grandmother and is also a family heirloom.

I am wondering how you know that your piano is dated to 1898. Some of the online dating services for pianos can be incorrect. Did you get the year off the plate? If so, then that is not the year of manufacture. As Fr_Chuck has posted, "Link to serial numbers to verify age..." He is correct about needing to know the serial number in order to ascertain the age of the instrument.

I am also wondering what you mean by it being in "perfect condition." If it is over 100 years old, then to be in perfect condition, it would have needed to have at least new hammers put on it as well as having all of the felts under the keys replaced; be tunable to standard pitch and been tuned on a regular basis, preferably twice a year and no less than once a year and also the finish on it must be in perfect condition as well - with no wrinkles, checking or other imperfections. Also, all of the buttons on sections of the wood that "bump" into other sections of wood should all be in great shape. Are the keytops also in perfect shape? Does it have the original bench? This can also add to the value.

If your piano has some "gingerbread" type designs on it, that can add to its value. If it were to be a player piano of that vintage and in perfect condition, then it would certainly have more value than a regular piano.

I have tuned and serviced Adam Schaaf upright pianos. At one time, there were literally hundreds of different piano manufacturers.

It really is impossible for someone to ascertain the value of your piano without really looking at it.

I have been a piano tuner/technician since 1974.
    goldenotter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
    I have just given away to a school my grandmother's Adam Schaaf piano with the serial number 18701 inside a decorated spot on the back. It was hard to see it go but none of the family had room for it. I remember her playing it and I took up piano as an adult. I had it refinished by a professional here and also tuned after it was moved. All the ivories are in tact but the base keys seem rather flat. I am looking at some sort of valuation on the piano. I have pictures. Can anyone help.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 06:31 PM
    Hi, goldenotter!

I can help you with this, but please do start a separate thread about it in Collectibles. That's a forum topic area that I moderate, and if something goes "Oops"! I can fix it there.

Also, this is the really old and now archived thread of someone else. It's not going to be visible on a daily basis, unless someone happens to visit the forum topic area where it's located.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone play piano? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this forum Just wondering - does anyone play piano? If u do please tell me cause I have some questions to ask Thanks

1898 Piano [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what a 1898 Adam Schaaf upright piano is worth

Piano Tuning [ 2 Answers ]

I'm curious if anyone can give me an idea of how much it costs to tune a piano. I recently bought a used 1970's vintage Cable-Nelson Spinet and it needs slight tuning. I live in the New England area if that helps.

Identify song.piano instrumental [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to determine what the first song in this slideshow is... any ideas? Photodex Corporation - Online Content Sharing - View Content

Learning the Piano [ 9 Answers ]

Can one of those portable keyboards be used to learn the piano. If so, which one would you recommend?

View more questions Search