Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherryidic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Double wires on a single wire breaker
    Hi,

My home inspector put the following in my inspection report and I would like to know if anyone know the possible solutions, including the lower cost ones. Also, does this create any danger or fire hazard?

* the two improper double feeds in the sub panel in the
    Laundry where two wires were attached to breakers designed for one wire connection,
    There was little room in the box for additional lines or
    Breakers that may be required in the future."
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Most breakers only allow for one wire to be inserted in the wire terminal. A short piece of scrap wire spliced and pigtailed with the two wires on the breaker will solve the problem.

If the panelboard is made by Square D, most likely the breakers will allow for two wires connect to the terminal. What brand of breaker panel do you have?

If the breaker, or any connection for that matter, is only rated for one wire and two are connected, there is a possibility for a loose connection, which can cause damaging heat.
    sherryidic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Is it possible to replace a single wire breaker with a double wire breaker?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
    It would be cheaper to just splice and pigtail, even if the manufacturer has a rated circuit breaker. Depends on if the manufacturer offers a breaker rated for more than one wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a Double Pole Breaker to feed two circuits [ 11 Answers ]

I have 40' run from the main panel with BX and want to use 14/3 instead of two runs of 14/2. Is there a problem using a double pole breaker (15amp) to feed (with 14/3) a split receptacle and then a lighting circuit on one half and 4 receptacles on the other? Is the only drawback is when one...

Replacing bathroom single sink with double [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing the bathroom vanity from a single sink to a double sink. Problem is that the current drain is in the middle of the vanity and I would like to maximize drawer space here. Can I move the existing trap parallel, against the wall and put a tee connection over this for the double sinks?...

Wire gauge for Double oven hook up [ 7 Answers ]

I am replacing old oven with double oven, current oven is on a 20 amp breaker, old wiring can not make out the gauge. The new double oven is convection 27" ovens, the following is the Power Specs: Amp Rating at 240V 30 Bake Wattage 2640 Broiler Wattage 3400 Convection Wattage 2500 KW...

Double breaker? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have recently put in a new 200 amp. Service and had to install a large J-box to extend the wiring to the new location, (not very far). My problem is that I have a new 2-pole 40 amp. Breaker for the "A/C", and a 15 amp. Breaker for the "furnace". My confussion is that either of these breakers...

Circuit breaker double posting [ 3 Answers ]

Is it ever OK to have a double posting in an electrical/ circuit breaker box? If so. When? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search