Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
    4 lanes really!! Wow you were BIG TIME!! When I lived in Wasilla we had a grocery store (Carr's) and a gas station!! That was about it. Had to travel to Anchorage for any excitement. LOL
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Yep. Four, count 'em, four lanes, no waiting.

I got to say now, I graduated Homer HS in '75. That's nineteen-75, OK, so that was HUGE! Lol
    Ya, and the trips to Anchorage were few and far between. Heck, going to Soldatna was a big deal. They had department stores there!

I participated in HS sport for the travel! I remember one time, we went to Seward on a school outing, way back when there was some brand of rootbeer in a brown bottle... well, me and a buddy got kicked out of their gym for "drinking" We hid the bottle's label like the joksters we were! Telling everybody what happened.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    4 lanes really!!! Wow you were BIG TIME!!! When I lived in Wasilla we had a grocery store (Carr's) and a gas station!!! That was about it. Had to travel to Anchorage for any excitement. LOL
    Holy crap, my sister lives there now and there is everything from Freddies to Walmart, gas stations galore and everything else you can imagine. I wish you would go back just for a small vacation, you would be so surprised, maybe even disappointed from all the traffic and people. It is crazy out there now.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Homer still has Carrs, I actually have a "savings card" from Carrs still, it works at the safeways, but that is the last standing Carrs, in Homer.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Carr's was the competition. I worked as a kid at Inglima's Supermarket, on "the boulevard" Inglima and my Dad were pals. Geez, how I hated small towns then... haha

We didn't have a traffic light in Homer, back while the Earth was cooling...
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Carr's was the competition. I worked as a kid at Inglima's Supermarket, on "the boulevard" Inglima and my Dad were pals. Geez, how I hated small towns then... haha

We didn't have a traffic light in Homer, back while the Earth was cooling...
    There sure are a few traffic lights now, but it is still pretty small...
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
    When we first move to Homer we lived on CT Hill (I never knew what CT stood for) but there was a path through the woods to the theater that kids from the neighborhood used. Friday's and Saturdays my dad would get so mad, people just cutting through our driveway. I'm calling him tomorrow... I doubt he remembers but I'm going to ask him.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Yay, that's better. My birthday was last week, I am officially 43. LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

I wish I had all my pics on my computer. I have one of me on Portage Glacier in the winter.....Climbing the mountain at Beluga Point....Camping at Montana Creek...

Oh, yeah, and who can forget the Bluegrass Festival or the Moose Dropping Festival.
    Well, then, Happy Birthday!

Geez, the shellacked Moose Dropping Earrings! LOL

Downtown was The Alaska Wilberry Products store (famous for their Moose Dropping art and preservatives). We'd pick enough alder berries, and anything else we could find, for money to go to the movies.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 06:54 AM
    AK Wildberry is everywhere now, I remember when they were so fresh and good...
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Oh, and who can forget the fireweed!!

I know my allergies will ever forget the beautiful stuff. LOL
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Firweed, we have talked about this before... Lady next door brought me some and asked if I knew what it was... LOL
    Love it, never ever forget. Oh, Forget-me-Nots... State flower
    And, a good morning to you! I have to get back out there, straighten stuff and get ready for another day. Did pretty good. So far
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
    I'm not sure of the technical name: pushky weed...
    I would get such a rash, my Mom would have a fit
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Mornin, I am not sure what it is either... See you guys later
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 22, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Been awhile, but... Oh, now you're going to like this...
    Aurora from space pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

I hope you all get this one through.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 06:38 PM
    That was so pretty. Can you believe it? Oh, I miss it so. I forgot that I did, till I started remembering everything from you and J...
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Aug 22, 2007, 11:37 PM
    Never been to Alaska sadly, however I would love to see all this untouched wilderness... not during the winter though, my days in sd have left me completely void of ever wanting to see snow again...
    Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Oh, Rich, I got that one. BEAUTIFUL!! Breathtaking to say the least!!

Wizz, snow in Alaska is so much different than snow in SD. WHY you ask? Cause there are soooooo many things to do in the snow up there.

Bobsledding down avalanche chutes, just to name one.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Aug 23, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Hmmmm, suppose I'll have to think about it, but the only way I'm a going is if I get to wear one of them cool looking parkas... always wanted one
    Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Oh yeah, and the fox skin caps... LOL with the nose on the front and the tail hanging down the back.

Jeeze, I used to wear shorts out when the wind chill was more than 30 below. Different kind of cold up there.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I wore shorts too J, and the people here in Oregon still think it is weird that my kids wear them even in the rainy winter. Should I make them wear pants? LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Drilling in Alaska [ 18 Answers ]

What are the pros and cons of drilling oil in Alaska? Should we or shouldn't we?

Can we cruise Alaska [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has a felony. We would like to cruise to Alaska but, are not sure if we can get into Canada to board the cruise ship and even just in cruising we would be in Canadian territory so, do you know if we can even go on an Alaskian cruise?

Alaska cruise balcony or not? [ 3 Answers ]

We are planning a cruise to alaska for our family including my mother in law, her first cruise. Is it worth the extra money to have a stateroom with a balcony, or is an oceanview better for the cost. We have cruised before, but never with a balcony room before. Any input on the alaskan cruise...

Leasing cottage in Alaska [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Alaska and recently engaged in a 8-month lease. The dwelling is a cottage that is rented on a nightly rental at 220.00 through the summer then starting in late Sept. becomes a winter rental at 750.00 a month all utilities included. When speaking to the land owner he said that the unit...

View more questions Search