Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aroberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Auto reposession/Default on Auto Loan
    To whom could lend some immediate advice,

I purchased a 2005 brand new vehicle in 2005. This automobile has been repossessed as of 5/07. In addition, I filed bankruptcy (Chapter 13) in 2006 to avoid this very problem, however that has been dismissed for lack of payments.

My current situation is a repossessed automobile which the creditors are saying has an outstanding balance in the amount of $18,000. I just received this call yesterday (8/16) and was informed they would settle for $11,000. Unfortunately, I have neither. I do not want my paycheck garnished.

I was seriously considering filing bankruptcy again (chapter 7) to clear the dept. However, I’m not sure if I would be eligible with the new laws. I realize another option of mine would be a dept consolidation firm; based on the information I received ($200 monthly based on the $11,000 creditor would settle for) I would be able to afford that. I just would rather have the amount removed totally via bankruptcy.

If anyone could assist me in anyway (advice) I would be greatly appreciative. I have
    Thanks in advance for your assistance with this matter.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Speak to an attorney about bankruptcy. I would try to work out a payment plan with them.
    aroberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Thanks for your response. If they don't except $200 monthly, which is all I can afford, would you suggest a dept consoldation company? I don't want to file bankrupty again, I just feel like I don't have many other options.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 01:30 PM
    A debt consolidation company won't help if they don't agree to it. Such things are voluntary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Loan [ 2 Answers ]

I just bougth a minivan Grand Caravan 2 months ago it turn out to be a lemon. It's there a way to return it or get rid of the loan?

Getting approved for an auto loan? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking into getting my first car, and my parents are taking out a loan from the bank so that I don't have to make car payments (my insurance is high enough as is, being a new driver). I was wondering how long it typically takes to be approved or denied? They have pretty good credit and own a...

Civil Suit - How to Vacate Default Judgment Auto Lease [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a statute of limitations on making a motion to vacate a default judgment in a auto lease default ruling? How long? It's been 6 years since the judgment. I want to answer now, vacate or set aside the default judgment, and make have a chance to settle out of court now. In NY, Rockland County...

Auto loan default [ 4 Answers ]

Good evening: I currently have my auto loan through Wells Fargo bank. I have paid on my loan for the past three years without incident. On December 13, 06 I contacted WF to discuss paying off my loan since I was re-financing my home to clean up debt. They told me the payoff amount and that was...

View more questions Search